Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diet & Reflux? SHould I go Caffeine and Dairy Free?..Any Help Greatly Appreciated!!

Default Diet & Reflux? SHould I go Caffeine and Dairy Free?..Any Help Greatly Appreciated!!

Hello!

My DS is 9 weeks old and has gotten increasingly fussy over the last 2 weeks.
    For several weeks, he has been uncomfortable on his back. Also, he has always hiccuped a lot, coughed somewhat frequently and had some congestion....SO I am thinking he has reflux. I called his pedi and talked to his nurse who recommended the usual things (keeping upright after eating...elevating mattress...)

well, it's been getting worse and worse, especially at night when we try to sleep!! 2 or so weeks ago I was so happy because his sleep stretches started lengthening. he slept 4 hours, then 2-3 for the rest of the night. Well last night he awoke every half hour to 1 hour, with the exception of one sleep stretch that came close to 2 hours

Ok, so I read that caffeine can make reflux worse. I had been drinking two cups of home brewed each morning...yesterday was my first day to not...However, stupid me made brownies late last night (yummy!) duh caffeine, wasnt thinking...

So do you think it was the brownies that led to such a torturous evening for us?

Also, I of course had the brownies with a glass of milk...and a couple hours before I had a bowl of cereal with milk...For breakfast every morning i have oatmeal with butter and milk...and the more i think about it, i am realizing that a TREMENDOUS part of my diet is dairy. That and cereal, and maybe a turkey sandwhich is sometimes all i will eat in a day! especially this week because my bf was the one who went grocery shopping and didnt even buy a single fruit or veggie!!!

So is it the dairy that is our problem??

OH man, the more i read the more lost i become...because then I came across a list put out by PAGER with all kinds of foods that are supposedly bad for reflux...here it is:

VEGETABLES (due to high acid or belching)

Broccoli
    Green Peppers
    Cabbage
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Tomato
    Tomato Juice
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Onions
    Garlic
    Turnips
    Rhubarb
    Kale

FRUITS (due to high acid or lots of fiber and seeds)

Apple (especially peels)
    Bananas (notorious for constipation)
    Citrus fruits
    Figs
    Coconut

BEVERAGES

Milk (lactose intolerance can provoke reflux or hyperactivity in some babies)
    Coffee (even decaffeinated)
    Tea
    Carbonated Beverages
    Caffeinated Beverages

STARCHES

Beans (gas producing)
    Oats (rolled oats OK)
    Tofu (avoid large quantities)
    Barley ( OK if pearled barley is cooked 10-15 min)
    MISCELLANEOUS

Fatty or fried Foods (fats take longer to digest)
    Meat with connective tissue/ gristle (take longer to digest)
    Chili Powder
    Vinegars
    Chocolate (high in caffeine, which keeps baby awake)
    Molasses
    Peppermint/ Spearmint (Wintergreen is unrelated)
    Honey
    Caffeine
    Foods with "air" such as fluffy baked goods, meringues.
    Swallowing air by sucking on hard candies or drinking from straws
    Rye seeds
    Meat extracts
    Black Pepper (white pepper is OK)
    Creamy Foods/ gravies (high fat content)
    Rich Pastries (high fat content)
    Simple sugary foods
    Excessive fiber (increase very gradually as tolerated)
    Pectin
    High energy foods (digest slowly)
    MCT Oil (medium chain triglycerides, digest slowly)
    Guargum (thickener, digests slowly)

WOW!!!!

So i'm really confused as to what exactly i should try eliminating...and how to go about doing it. Please Help!!! thx!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: Diet & Reflux? SHould I go Caffeine and Dairy Free?..Any Help Greatly Appreciated

Have you looked here http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html. A lot of the foods you listed can cause reflux in the person eating them - that doesn't necessarily mean they get into the milk and cause your LO distress. For example, with a high fiber diet - fiber doesn't get into your milk and cause gas.
    This link goes through food allergies http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html. Read through and see if you recognize any symptoms or behaviors.
    Sometimes babies are just fussy, here is a link on that http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html.
    I would cut back on the coffee, though! Some babies really are sensitive to it, here is one more link http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html.
    Hope that helps a little!

ETA: Fixed the first link!
    Last edited by @llli*abbymom; January 24th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Default Re: Diet & Reflux? SHould I go Caffeine and Dairy Free?..Any Help Greatly Appreciated

Hi, there!

You sound very concerned about your baby's situation. Many mothers feel and have felt similarily, too. Hang in there.

Although most breastfeeding mothers can eat anything they want in moderation, there are some mothers and babies who have difficulty digesting certain foods... Dairy is a common culprit, as you mentioned, and can stay in the body's system for two weeks... although a big difference can be seen in baby after just a couple of days.

You may want to follow up with some of the suggestions in your previous thread, too. Have you seen any improvement? How long have you been block feeding for now?

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=65951

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Exclamation Re: Diet & Reflux? SHould I go Caffeine and Dairy Free?..Any Help Greatly Appreciated

I have been having the same exact problem. I do not have caffine (except chocolate) but I do drink and eat LOTS, I mean LOTS, of dairy. It had never seemed to bother her so I haven't changes my diet.

My LO is 9 weeks also and over the past week or so has been inceasing her fussiness as well. I have read all of the kellymom stuff and it sounds as if he may have some reflux symptoms, but I also believe I have an OS/OALD and thus a fore/hindmilk issue as she has a lot of those syptoms as well (more symptoms of the latter). I just began block feeding at the suggestion of my LC 3 days ago. During the day it has helped greatly with her fussiness and gurgly reflux noises with swallowing it down afterwards.

My LO has been a great sleeper and recently pulled the awake crying every house stunt, too! It sounds like she is in pain...which just kills me. What's going on with our LOs? Are they jsut changing? Is it Reflux?

The weird thing is that the night that she got her 2 mo shots/rotateq vacc it got to the point where she was crying for almost two hours straight and every night since then has been the same. Does this have any relation? Could the oral vacc rotateq have caused it to be worse?
    Last edited by @llli*steveandlacie; January 25th, 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot something! :)
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLCarla View Post
    Hi, there!

You sound very concerned about your baby's situation. Many mothers feel and have felt similarily, too. Hang in there.

Although most breastfeeding mothers can eat anything they want in moderation, there are some mothers and babies who have difficulty digesting certain foods... Dairy is a common culprit, as you mentioned, and can stay in the body's system for two weeks... although a big difference can be seen in baby after just a couple of days.

You may want to follow up with some of the suggestions in your previous thread, too. Have you seen any improvement? How long have you been block feeding for now?

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=65951

take care,

Actually, the last couple nights he has been sleeping a better. In fact, the night before last (after the night from haites) he slept for 5 hours in a row! but then took back his every hour routine the rest of the night/ morning...But i'm sure he was just catchin up, i dont expect it to be a regular thing...but here's hopin!

a month and a half (maybe i;m all mixed up ) or so ago, when i first suspected oas/oald, i went to 2 hour block feedings. after a week i felt as though my milk supply got too low. DS was not pleased, seemed to miss the fast flow. so went back to offering two sides...

i've been back to one sided for prob 2-3 weeks...but one side per feeding only. it still sprays out sometimes (but i'm not ever really engorged )...so the last 3 days or so I've gone back to one side for every two hours....is this a good plan? or instead of looking at the time should i just use one side for every 3 times at the breast (for example)?

I dunno...i think it may be the coffee, i think it may be all the dairy, or maybe its just th e oas/oald....and then maybe he just got a cold??
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

I think it's great that you're listening to your mommy instincts... When you take out dairy for a few days you should be able to see some differences in about 3-5 days or so (although dairy tends to stay in the body for about 2 weeks). Generally, most moms can drink about 3-5 cups of caffeine per day without affecting baby... but, as anything else, all babies are so unique. Start with the dairy and then the coffee. A food journal may be helpful, too.

As far as feeding on one side per feeding, many mothers do this... especially since it's so much easier to keep track of. Sometimes, you'll even see a mom "weigh" which side is heavier to know which side to feed on.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

As Carla said it can take quite a while before you can see a difference with dairy. The protein can take up to 2-3 weeks to get out of your system & even longer to get out of baby's system. If you plan to eliminate dairy give it a solid month before you evaluate the situation. HTH
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    As Carla said it can take quite a while before you can see a difference with dairy. The protein can take up to 2-3 weeks to get out of your system & even longer to get out of baby's system. If you plan to eliminate dairy give it a solid month before you evaluate the situation. HTH
    Yikes! I have recently been having problems with my 8 mo son and thought I'd try eliminating dairy. I gave up after a week since it didn't help... looks like I may need to try again! It's so hard eliminating all dairy!!!