Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared to pump?!?!?!?

Default Scared to pump?!?!?!?

Hi -

This is my first post and I'm a bit nervous of pumping.
    I am going back to work on Monday and am pumping to get back into the rhythm of it. I have been pumping after feedings to try to build my supply for my sessions at work but it seems after I pump there's never enough milk for baby for his next feeding. Is this normal? He seems to cluster feed and not sleep after I pump - help?!?!?

Default Re: Scared to pump?!?!?!?

Hi - Once you're back at work, you'll be pumping instead of breastfeeding so your supply should be fine.

If you need to have some expressed breastmilk ready for Monday - most women find that their supply is highest first thing in the morning, and then goes down later in the day.

I could usually pump after baby's first morning nursing session and still be okay for his next nursing session.

Once I was pumping at work - that replaced those 2 or 3 nursing sessions and was enough to meet my DS's needs at day care the next day.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    Hi -

This is my first post and I'm a bit nervous of pumping.
    I am going back to work on Monday and am pumping to get back into the rhythm of it. I have been pumping after feedings to try to build my supply for my sessions at work but it seems after I pump there's never enough milk for baby for his next feeding. Is this normal? He seems to cluster feed and not sleep after I pump - help?!?!?
    Your body is always making milk. Your lo will get plenty, maybe just not as quickly as they would like.

Is your lo sleeping for longer stretches at night? I found this was a really good time to pump. I was able to start building up my stash and didn't have to worry about my lo not getting milk quickly enough.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for the advice...
    He is sleeping for longer, waking up once during the night.
    I did pump at 4am but only got 1.5 ounces. I've pumped for 2 days / 3 times per day and only pumped out 5.5 ounces so far. I hope the milk fairy comes, and soon!!!

I found that my pumping output was MUCH higher when I was pumping INSTEAD of a nursing session (when I was at work).

What type of a pump do you have?

Are you able to double pump (both sides at once)? There are several "handsfree" solutions for pumping.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

What kind of pump do you have? Are you pumping both breasts at the same time? Are you able to relax while pumping? Staying hydrated?

Oops, Lynn!! I was typing as you were posting! Sorry about the double questions!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Thanks...
    I have a Medela Pump In Style and pump both breasts.
    I try to religiously drink before, during and after pumping/nursing.
    I do have a 2 yr old (in her terrible two's) running around so it makes relaxing a distant memory..
    Could this be my problem? I'm worried about my older child getting into trouble while I'm pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    I do have a 2 yr old (in her terrible two's) running around so it makes relaxing a distant memory..
    Could this be my problem? I'm worried about my older child getting into trouble while I'm pumping?
    Oh, yeah! When I'm not relaxed, I can hardly pump at all. Could you do a nighttime or early morning pumping when your toddler is asleep? I know it's different for everyone, but I found that to have enough for DS (until about 12mo) I needed my work-time pumpings plus one extra pumping, because I never got quite enough during to day to cover what he'd drink. (I did my "extra" pumping at the same time every day, 7 days a week, until my body thought it was an extra feeding session. It took several weeks to fully ramp it up.) It became a lot easier once I got a Medela Freestyle (LOVE that pump!!), and could do the extra pumping in the car on my way to pick him up.

Is your pump new, or did you have it with your little girl? Sometimes the parts get worn, and the suction becomes less efficient. I would at least try changing the little white piece (can't remember what it's called) to see if that makes things better, too.

And with pps - when I was away from DS for significant amounts of time, I was able to pump a lot more than when I was doing it between feedings.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Wow - it could be!
    Yes overnight or early morning pumping is possible...
    I just thought my supply would slowly build the more I pumped after feedings..
    I purchased a hands free bra for the commute to/from work in traffic !! I believe I will be in the same boat as you...
    I will need an extra session to supply DS with what he needs for the day...
    Great help, thanks !!

So sorry you're having a tough time. You've received some great ideas. Have you also tried posting this message in the Pumping forums? You may get some more help/suggestions.
    Carla
    LLL Leader