Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going on 1 week vacation- what to do?

Default Going on 1 week vacation- what to do?

Hi ladies!

Let me just start off by saying that you all inspire me. Everytime I feel like giving up on breastfeeding, I come to this forum and immediately feel better.

I was hoping you can give me some advice now. I have been bf for 5 months. On February 10th, my husband and I are planning a one week vacation to Miami from Boston (we are fortunate enough to have my mom watch the baby). I was reluctant to go on this trip and be separated from the baby but it was a birthday present from my husband and he is so excited about it. Anyway, now I don't know what to do about my BM.

1.) Should I give him formula for one week but take my pump to Miami and continue pumping and then bring the milk I pump home? Will it destroy my milk supply? I also have about 10 milk bags stored up in the freezer (about 3.5oz each). Maybe I should give him at least one bottle a day with the formula?!

OR

2.) Should I ship the milk I pump? I have no idea how to do this. I only have 1 storage medela bag right now. Do I have to buy many of them? Can I use plastic bags to place in the storage bag to save space (otherwise only 4 bottles fit into that bag)? Has anyone tried shipping milk for one week?

I want to continue bf definitely when I get back, but I don't know what is the best option for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Patrick born on 8/24/08 at 7 lbs. 14 oz.
    1 year!
    Charlotte born on 11/11/10 at 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    1 month

Default Re: Going on 1 week vacation- what to do?

how exciting ! Before I try to answer your question I'm going to ask a question I am always inclined to ask moms of young babies... can you postpone the trip?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    how exciting ! Before I try to answer your question I'm going to ask a question I am always inclined to ask moms of young babies... can you postpone the trip?

Also, do you have a "stash"? And/or can you start one now so that there is some bm in the freezer when you leave?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Or can baby go along?
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    Or can baby go along?
    Can you bring your mom along to help with baby? I think that would be awful hard on your baby to be separated that long from his mommy.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    Or can baby go along?
    Hey - that's my second question!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

with all pp's. It's a long time to be away from your lo.

Can you tweak your plans?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Exclamation Re: Going on 1 week vacation- what to do?

Baby can't come along?? Your hubby may be excited..but maybe after a day or so you'll miss your baby so much that the trip won't even be good?Or your mom may be calling you alot with trouble from baby because she misses her mama.. I think it's a great idea for your mom to come and help! I can't even leave my almost 4 month old for an hour let alone a week!!I'm sure your hubby would understand if you explained to him about the "what if's" ya know? I commend all you mamas who have to go back to work.. I'm SO SO grateful I haven't had to yet, I would miss my LO sooo much!!!! I would worry about your supply going down because your not with her as well.. I'm not sure though, goodluck with what you decide!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Thank you for your replies! As far as being separated from the baby, I am a full time working mother, so unfortunately I have to be separated from him every day anyway. My mother watches him while I am at work and he is very used to her. She also gives him my expressed BM at night, so I can sleep through the night. Otherwise, I will not be able to go to work the next day (as he is still waking up a lot). So, she is with him at night as well. I know, we re very lucky to have her!

That's why we have already decided to take the trip. I am just worried about the BM situation. Is there anyone who had to take a trip without the baby? What did you do? Which option should I take- ship the milk or supplement for 1 week?
    Patrick born on 8/24/08 at 7 lbs. 14 oz.
    1 year!
    Charlotte born on 11/11/10 at 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    1 month

Ship the milk

Some info in this thread may help
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...highlight=trip

There is tons of info under the working and bf forum.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.