Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She's Still Hungry!

Exclamation She's Still Hungry!

I have a 6 week old dd who feeds for at least an hour each time, (about 30 mins per side) then, unless I was completely engorged before feeding, is still hungry! I've been supplementing with formula after she feeds to fill her up, but I'm not sure what to do or if that is ok. Also, I have had gastric bypass surgery and am concerned that that may be the reason I'm not making enough milk to get her full. She seems to be fussing all the time unless she's bfeeding or has been topped off with a bottle. Please help!

Default Re: She's Still Hungry!

I am having that issue too and he just wants to cluster feed. If I pump and put milk in a bottle he can drink 3 oz's no problem. I think I may have messed him up with introducing the bottle too soon.

It might be a growth spurt. Here is some info on that:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
    Here is a link on fussy babies: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
    And another on cluster feedings: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Six weeks is prime time for the fussies to start - I would not supplement with formula, instead continue to offer the breast as often as she asks for it. The breast is more than just nourishment, its comfort, love, caring all in one neat package! If you are concerned about how much she is eating, count wets/poops. It helps to actually write then down - I tend to forget if I don't. Here is a link on how many she should have:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    HTH!

If you can, I would also try to cut out the supplementing with formula. The reason why your baby is constantly wanting to eat is to tell your body how much milk to make. Every time you are giving your lo formula, your body is not getting the message to make the extra milk.

I agree with pp. It definetly sounds like a growth spurt. The best thing you can do during a growth spurt is let your baby nurse as frequently as desired. I know it can be tough, but pretty soon your baby will start to go longer between feedings. Grab a good book or watch tv, camp out on the couch and enjoy your baby! Hang in there, it gets a lot easier.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

growth spurts and teething are the most difficult times when breastfeeding...no need to supplement (unless baby isn't getting enough and you can tell that by his/her output) just let baby nurse when they want...my lo is going thru his 1st spurt, and he's an eatting machine.....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hello All,

Thanks so much for the info! Two problems I'm running into - First - because I have had gastric bypass, I have to supplement with formula to be sure baby is getting everything she needs, as my milk may be lacking. So, any advice on how to balance the two would be great. Maybe I should post that seperately as a topic? Second - I have a very active 3 year old dd who often makes it difficult to just sit and feed for prolonged periods. Any advice with that would be great too, as I know many of you share the same situation! Thanks!

If you're engorged, you've got plenty of milk for her

The gastric bypass isn't impedeing your ability to make milk. The links above are great places to start. Especailly the one on how to best gauge that baby is getting enough as the fussiness isn't indicative of that. They do get fussy and because of the nature of feeding from a breast and how different is it from feeding from a bottle moms often assume baby is still hungy because of how baby feeds from a bottle (which has no regulation of it's flow like the combo of breast and baby will)

At this point it how much supplementation are you giving her?

FOr the 3 year old... do you have a special basket of activities for him/her to enjoy while you're feeding? That is a great tool, as is special reading books for you to enjoy with him at nursing time, coloring books, markers special art stuff... etc. We're full of ideas

here's a link that may also be helpful to you
    Last edited by @llli*number4; January 23rd, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    If you're engorged, you've got plenty of milk for her

The gastric bypass isn't impedeing your ability to make milk. The links above are great places to start. Especailly the one on how to best gauge that baby is getting enough as the fussiness isn't indicative of that. They do get fussy and because of the nature of feeding from a breast and how different is it from feeding from a bottle moms often assume baby is still hungy because of how baby feeds from a bottle (which has no regulation of it's flow like the combo of breast and baby will)

At this point it how much supplementation are you giving her?

FOr the 3 year old... do you have a special basket of activities for him/her to enjoy while you're feeding? That is a great tool, as is special reading books for you to enjoy with him at nursing time, coloring books, markers special art stuff... etc. We're full of ideas

here's a link that may also be helpful to you
    I'm regularly giving her two bottles a day, one in the evening before bed and one when she wakes at night. From what I understand, that is the minimum that is recommended for her to actually be getting any benefit from supplementing. I then have been occasionally topping her off with formula when she's fussy during the day, after bf. I will stop doing that though, as per everyone's advice, and see how things go! Thanks for the basket idea by the way!
    mom to
    Ella, 3 1/2 yrs, bf for 7 months
    Elise, born 12/12/08, bf

PS
    I found the kellymom web site last night. Great resource! Thanks!
    mom to
    Ella, 3 1/2 yrs, bf for 7 months
    Elise, born 12/12/08, bf

I agree with the pp, great advice! Also, when you say she is eating for 30 minutes per side, are you hearing her sucking AND swallowing? Are you feeling a let down (tingling in your breasts)? When she is feeding from one side, does the other leak? Or did in the early weeks? I am wondering if she is just so happy and content at the breast that she is falling asleep, then waking up when you take her off. How many wets and poops is she having a day? Have you tried gently cupping your breast up and away from the areola and giving in a gentle squeeze for 15 seconds? This will give her a jolt of milk and help her realize "Oh yea, I'm eating here, let me wake up!" HTH!!

Also, with your DD1, can you possibly have her sit down next to you and look at a book together? Does she like to color? Does she have a doll baby that she can "feed" why you are feeding your baby? Hang in there, mama!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07