Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing myself for weaning process

Default Preparing myself for weaning process

Hi Ladies.... I am looking for some advice/support.
    My DS is 10.5 mos. old. Right now he EBF even though I work full time b/c he refuses the bottle & sippy cups (the most he takes during the day is 4 oz) and he reverse cycles at night. I have stopped pumping and really have no problem with the way things have evolved other than the fact that I would love to get some more sleep. To that end, I am thinking of starting to wean him at 1 year. I've never weaned before, so am nervous and unsure how to go about doing it (my first went on a nursing strike at 7.5 mos and never returned - nurse once during the day and never again ) and I'm even more concerned about the whole process given that he won't take BM out of a bottle/cup. What if he won't take cow's milk? He can't live on solids alone... right? Right now, I continue to feed him on demand at night as I feel like he needs to nurse because he didn't get any milk during the day. Any advice, support, etc would be appreciated... I hear him and am off to nurse! Thanks

Default Re: Preparing myself for weaning process

oh - and I don't want to wean completely yet. I'd still like to nurse in the AM and before bed past 12 mos.... Thanks!

Ah I just wrote a reply but it kicked me off!

We don't need cow's milk, only baby cows do. So you can get all your nutrition from food. A healthy diet with whole foods is important. Since cows milk is a convenient source of fat and vitamins (and the dairy industry REALLY wants you to drink it) most people just think it's a given that we have to have it.

Slow gradual weaning is the way to go. You'll want to keep at least 4 sessions until a year, because that should be his primary source of nutrition up until that point. Your milk will still off him a lot of good stuff, even if it's just a couple of times a day.
    Don't offer don't refuse is a gentle method. After a year you can start to set some limits and boundaries. Distractions work well for some kids, maybe we'll nurse after we do this, or when we get home. Cut the least favorite sessions first and work your way down to the ones that are most important.

HTH!

You could go about night-weaning and then for the rest of the day go about the "don't offer, don't refuse." after a while you'll see where you are and if you are enjoying continuing to nurse during the day when you are home, you can do that. My guess is if you night-wean he will probably start asking more during the day (when you are home).

When I night-weaned I used the Jay Gordon method but tweaked it to fit our situation and how I felt DD would respond. It was really a lot less painful than I had anticipated. GL!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09