Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my days are numbered,,,

Default Re: my days are numbered,,,

diaper output is really the best way to see if LO is getting enough. Supply will also go significantly down if you are not drinking enough fluids. I find I need at least 64oz. I know you feel the LO is not getting enough but from everything you have said it may well not be a big problem. We all have temporary dips and it comes right back up. I second Kaitlyn's mom's advice to get the baby weighed before and after a feeding and find out how much LO is really getting.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I know you said you are not giving him formula, but when did you introduce the bottle? It almost sounds like he may have "nipple preference." The milk comes out much more easily and quickly from the bottle than it does from the breast. He may be getting on your breast and getting angry when it does not start squirting out. Is it possible to stop the bottles for a few days and concentrate on skin-to-skin contact and straight breastfeeding? I think this will make a world of diffference!

I took fenugreek with DS2...He is almost 19 mos and I still only feed him from one side. I never had any supply issues with DS1, but had them from about 2 mos or so with DS2. Be sure to take enough fenugreek so that when you urinate it smells like maple syrup. I took 3 capsules 3 times per day...but you should ask your doctor or pharmacist.
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

the first time my LO got a bottle was at 6 weeks and ofcourse it was EBM. That was when I went back to work. He still only get the bottle 2 days a week on Mondays and Fridays ( i now work part time) and still it's EBM no formula. We use Dr. Browns bottles with level 1 nipples so I still use the slowest flow nipple for him to try to avoid him getting "lazy" at the breast. Maybe Im making a moutain out of a mole hill. On a side note. I have pumped twice today at work ( i went home on my lunch break to feed him) and both sessions, I got about 3 ounces. Not great, but not THAT BAD.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Glad to hear it sounds like things are getting better. All the advice you've gotten so far has been great. Have you checked out the sticky thread in this forum about "false alarms"? That might help you determine if you really do have a supply issue.

It sounds like you have a very supportive doctor re nursing - you are very lucky there!!

Hope things continue to improve - let us know!

Just an update. LO had a regular feeding tonight with no extra freezer stash to finish himoff with. Aside from the fenugreek that I took this after noon, I really think it was all the extra pumping that has helped. Especially that power pump session last night. Thanks everyone for all your support. It means so much!

We love and

Just wanted to encourage you that I had my ups and downs with my supply with both of my babies. It really goes through spurts. Fenugreek helped me a TON! As did not stressing (yeah, right). You are doing a great job working and bfeeding your baby - even working part time is hard. Don't forget that when you are nursing full time, even getting 1-3 oz. from pumping is actually a lot. I didn't know that until my second baby. You can also eat oatmeal, add fennel to your diet (it's a spice that you can put on salad, sandwiches, in soup, etc.) and drink TONS of water! Hope you get back on track for good, and really, don't stress! You are doing a great job and your baby will be just fine.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thanks so much. I feel like I'm going to be one of those that will always have to work really hard to nurse successfully. Whatever I have to do, it's so worth it to me.

Yesterday, on my way home, I passed a billboard in my area that has been blank for the last few months. Well there was a message on it yesterday that said "babies were meant to be breastfed". It was a personal reminder to me to hang in there! It made me feel good to see that.

We love and

Don't feel bad...most of us have to work hard to breast feed. If it's not one challenge, it's another. Something that has helped me (and is helping me) along the way is to set goals. My first goal was to exclusively breast feed my daughter for 6 mo. (Christmas - we made it!) today she is 7 mo. and still has had only breast milk. My next goal is the our February vacation (3 weeks away). Also, she gets 6 oz. of pumped milk and 3 from my frozen stash. If you have to supplement, make the best of it! I wish I could give her 12 oz. of pumped, but that's not possible right now. So, again, I just set realistic goals and feel good about what I can do, especially if I'm doing my best!

HTH

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Don't feel bad...most of us have to work hard to breast feed. If it's not one challenge, it's another. Something that has helped me (and is helping me) along the way is to set goals. My first goal was to exclusively breast feed my daughter for 6 mo. (Christmas - we made it!) today she is 7 mo. and still has had only breast milk. My next goal is the our February vacation (3 weeks away). Also, she gets 6 oz. of pumped milk and 3 from my frozen stash. If you have to supplement, make the best of it! I wish I could give her 12 oz. of pumped, but that's not possible right now. So, again, I just set realistic goals and feel good about what I can do, especially if I'm doing my best!

HTH
    I'm just curious and hope you don't mind my asking, at 7 months, have you introduced solids yet?

We love and