Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies-what medicine to take while breastfeeding?

Default Allergies-what medicine to take while breastfeeding?

what can I take while breastfeeding for allergies?

Default Re: Allergies-what medicine to take while breastfeeding?

I know that Claritin is safe while BFing (I've taken this myself for allergies and a cold), but in taking it you risk lowering your supply. Mine did not lower, but you might want to take precautions to keep supply up like pumping more if you take Claritin!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Thanks for the info. I have really bad seasonal allergies right now and even get allergy shots. I have not taken any meds. since my 4 1/2 month old was born. I use a humidifier and saline nose drops. Do you think taking Claritin is alright or should I run up to the store to buy Actifed?

I did not have a problem with supply while taking Claritin, but then again I have had an oversupply of milk for a long time. I know a lot of women with babies under 5 months old have too much milk, so if you have this issue, I wouldn't worry about your supply dropping. If you are worried about it, Claritin should be fine I think as long as you pump after each feeding.

I understand this can be a lot of work, but I wouldn't recommend Actifed because it contains pseudoephedrine (which my LO's pediatrician does not recommend for nursing moms). My meds book for nursing mommies recommends medicines with loratadine (Claritin) or fexofenadine (Allegra) for allergies, plus it doesn't mention anything about these affecting supply.

If I were you, I'd just call your LO's pediatrician and ask a nurse on call what you should take for allergies while BFing. They can look up safe meds for you and give you a more educated answer, I'm sure.

Good luck!! So sorry you aren't feeling well!!
    Last edited by @llli*tspeegle09; January 22nd, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

The link above is a great resource to start with! I also second the recommendation of following up with your doc or a call to a LLL leader as well
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bigredkorea View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have really bad seasonal allergies right now and even get allergy shots. I have not taken any meds. since my 4 1/2 month old was born. I use a humidifier and saline nose drops. Do you think taking Claritin is alright or should I run up to the store to buy Actifed?
    Sorry you're not feeling well! Yes, Claritin (Loratadine) is listed as an L1 (safest) in Hales book, Medications and Mothers' Milk. Claritin is "a maternal medication usually compatible with Breastfeeding."

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I developed a rash while my son (born at 31 weeks) was in the NICU and I was pumping breastmilk for him. I asked the physician and he said Zyrtec was fine to take. I also used Zyrtec with the permission of my Ob/Gyn while I was pregnant.