Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is something seriously wrong with me????

Question Is something seriously wrong with me????

Hello,
    this is my 6th time getting mastitis with my baby and I am always fighting off clogged ducts on my right breast. My baby sleeps through the night and eats every 3-4 hours. He is a very happy baby he has already almost tripled his birth weight. I am currently on antibiotics and I woke up this morning with the whole bottom of my right breast is a hard mass. I try to pump and not much comes out. Please help I am at my wits end and don't know what else to do. Is something wrong with me??? what is causing all this????

Default Re: Is something seriously wrong with me????

I'm sorry, mama. I don't really have much advice for you, but I wanted to bump up your post in the hopes that someone else will come along with suggestions or support.

In the meantime, alternating warm and cool compresses is supposed to help.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Question Re: Is something seriously wrong with me????

Thank you! I have taken hot showers and hot baths and hot compresses and NOTHING is working this time. Seriously it is a huge mass!!! When I squeeze and push on the ducts NOTHING comes out. I am starting to get worried

I take Evening primrose Oil 1300mg once a day. I got 3 clogged ducts and was told to take this to prevent the clogged duct by the lactation consultant at the hospital. Good luck

Also, I forgot to mention but since I have been taking the Evening Primrose Oil I have not had anymore clogged ducts. Nine years ago I got mastitis and stopped breastfeeding after two months. I am now have more knowledege and patience and have been breastfeeding for five months now but have not had to go through mastitis again. I was also told a heating pad works, soothies gel pads and also massage.

where do you get evening primrose oil? I just think it is weird that I am getting ANOTHER mass while I am taking antibiotics. This is my 4th baby and I have nursed for 4 years total so far (1+years each baby and 4.5 months so far this time) I had mastitis with all my kids but one. I know i have a lot of milk maybe that is the problem but this time I am not getting any relief

bump

I'm not positive where you would get the oil, but my guess would be a supplement shop. I'm so sorry you keep dealing with this Hope it gets better soon.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

something here might help

and this link also:

Treatments for recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis
    These treatments should be used in addition to your efforts to find and remedy the source of the problem. Keep in mind that if the source of your recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis is something fixable (for example: oversupply, infrequent nursing, too tight bra, etc.), then solving the underlying problem is the most effective thing you can do.

Treatments: Dietary supplements and diet
    A Vitamin C supplement can be helpful for any mom suffering with recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis.

Many moms have found that taking lecithin (a dietary supplement) can help to resolve and prevent recurrent plugged ducts.

It is also helpful to make sure that you're getting enough liquids, and to reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet.

Treatments: Homeopathic remedies
    Some moms with recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis have also had good luck with the following homeopathic treatment -- 2 doses Hepar Sulphur and 2 doses of Phytolacca (allow pellets to dissolve in mouth). The doses are to be taken as follows:

First, take Hepar Sulphur 30C - 3 pellets;
    3 hours later, take Phytolacca 30C - 3 pellets;
    3 hours later, take Hepar Sulphur 30C - 3 pellets;
    3 hours later, take Phytolacca 30C - 3 pellets.

Treatments: Acupuncture
    Acupuncture has also been used successfully for recurrent plugged ducts or mastitis.

Treatments: Long-term, low-dose antibiotics
    If you follow the complete course of treatment with an appropriate antibiotic and the mastitis continues to recur, Dr. Ruth Lawrence (Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, page 281) suggests long-term, low-dose antibiotics for 2-3 months or even the duration of lactation. This type of treatment has broken the cycle of repeated mastitis for some women. If this treatment is chosen, it's also a good idea to have an antifungal medication prescribed along with the antibiotic and/or to supplement the mother's diet with acidophilus to lessen the risk of thrush.

Treatments: Time
    If you are relatively early postpartum and your recurrent plugs/mastitis seem to be tied to an overabundant milk supply, a little more time may be the best remedy. Hormonal changes occur by about 12 weeks (give or take a bit) that make milk supply more stable and you may notice less of a tendency to get the plugs.

Thank you so much that is very helpful info. My baby is almost 5 months and I do have oversupply but It was seeming to even out. I just don't know. i am hoping it is because I never fully recovered and after the antibiotics have fully taken over I will be ok. getting rid on the pain and trying to soften it is the hardest part now. Nothing is working