1. Apply wet or dry heat to the affected area--gently massaging the area while it's warm, removing any dried milk secretions on the nipple by soaking in plain water
2. Massage while area is still warm, using your hands and fingers, following the breast to the nipple area, using circular motions... a heating pad works wonders for most.
3. Nurse right after this massage
4. Nurse frequently
5. Loosen constricting clothing, including your bra
6. Make sure baby is well positioned and latched on well... even older babies can change their latch
7. Vary nursing positions
8. Try not to miss a feeding without pumping (if baby is determining not to nurse, then this is usually a "gradual" missed feeding & not abrupt)
10. Reduce dairy, if excessive. Reduce saturated fats. Add omega 3s like olive oil, ground flaxseed.