Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Repeat mastitis and clogged ducts HELP!!

Default Repeat mastitis and clogged ducts HELP!!

Hello,
    I have had mastitis 6 times with this baby!! He is only 4 1/2 month old. He sleeps through the night and only nurses every 3-4 hours. He is a very happy good sleeping baby but I am in pain all the time (mostly on the side I sleep on and in diff spots) Right now I am on antibiotics for the infection I got last week and this morning I woke up and I have a huge swollen bumpy lump on the bottom of my right breast. I can hardly pump anything out of it and it hurts but I can tell it is not infected (not red no fever ect.) What am I doing wrong???? i have nursed all of my kids and this is my 4th. Please help!!!!

Default Re: Repeat mastitis and clogged ducts HELP!!

I'm so sorry to see that no one replied to your post. Unfortunately I can't help, as I have not had to deal with mastitis, but I would suggest trying to track down a local LLLI leader. They have been very helpful to me with other problems. Good luck!

Default Re: Repeat mastitis and clogged ducts HELP!!

It sounds like this bout of mastitis is definitely a tough one! Sorry you have to go through it again. You mention that you've gone through it a few times... That's probably more difficult to deal with. You'll get through this one, too, hopefully very soon.

When a mom has many cases of mastitis, it' s recommended that a mom try to figure out why she keeps experiencing the mastitis.

Some of the main reasons would be: Poor latch-on or just not sucking well (as happens with many toddlers)...
    Consistent pressure (like from a tight bra, sleeping on your stomach, tight baby carrier, etc.)...
    Extra stress... Irregular breastfeeding

There were some studies that I read not too long ago that gave these specific causes for an experienced breastfeeding mom, too. It also mentioned that if a mom doesn't *completely* recover from the infection, there's more chances of having the mastitis come back. You may even want to double check with your doctor about lecithin... might help from getting recurring mastitis. Lecithin is not an herb. It is a natural emulsifier that is used in many foods. You've probably been eating it your whole life, too.

With mastitis, massaging from the "back" of the breast to the nipple (similar to the flow of milk) while breastfeeding or pumping is a good way to keep the milk flowing. To help a clogged duct (no fever, pus, blood, red streaks, etc.) from becoming mastitis, many moms find the following suggestions helpful (You probably already are familiar with these techniques):

1. Apply wet or dry heat to the affected area--gently massaging the area while it's warm, removing any dried milk secretions on the nipple by soaking in plain water

2. Massage while area is still warm, using your hands and fingers, following the breast to the nipple area, using circular motions... a heating pad works wonders for most.

3. Nurse right after this massage

4. Nurse frequently

5. Loosen constricting clothing, including your bra

6. Make sure baby is well positioned and latched on well... even older babies can change their latch

7. Vary nursing positions

8. Try not to miss a feeding without pumping (if baby is determining not to nurse, then this is usually a "gradual" missed feeding & not abrupt)

9. Rest

10. Reduce dairy, if excessive. Reduce saturated fats. Add omega 3s like olive oil, ground flaxseed.

There are ways to get through the many bumps in the road! ) Hope you feel better soon!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader