Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Default Tylenol

Thanks for sharing your stories, ladies, and offering encouragement. Pumping is hard work! Knowing that my son will be getting the bottle and the breast while I'm still pumping when he comes home from the hospital seems like a daunting task. It's nice to know that others made it and we will too!

Last night I had a searing headache so I took Tylenol and then didn't pump again for about 5 hours. Do you think it's safe to give the baby that breastmilk? How soon do you think it's out of the system? I'm wondering because of his high blood pressure. I will ask the doctor today, but I thought I'd also ask here.

Take care,

Robin

Default Re: Tylenol

Robin,
    Tylenol (acetaminophen) is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding mothers.

Here is a quote from Medications and Mothers' Milk tenth edition page 27.

"Acetaminophen
    ...Only small amounts are excreted into breastmilk and are considered too small to be hazardous.
    Lactation Risk Category: L1
    ..."

What does L1 mean? Here's a quote from the above resource, page 16.
    "L1 Safest:
    Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding mothers without any observed increase in adverse effects in the infant. Controlled studies in breasfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the infant and the possiblity of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote; or the product is not orally bioavailable in an infant."

Here is some info about medications and the breastfeeding mother:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/medications.html

HTH!

Thumbs up Re: Hello

[QUOTE=Laurmal]Hi.
    I had a preemie at 25 weeks and exclusively pumped for 9 months. ...she started nursing 6 months after she came home. She's been nursing like a pro since then, she's 15 months now.
    QUOTE]

Hi Laurmal, I admire your determination to breastfeed! You've done so well!

My b-feeding baby is turning one soon and was born at 32 weeks. I brought her home after only 10 days, feeding her b-milk with a nasal tube for another approx' 2 weeks (with midwife check-up's) and letting her just explore my nipple. When she finally gave her first few strong sucks the midwife took out the tube - yay!

I'm so proud of all you breast-milk feeding moms! Your hearts are huge and it makes me feel so proud to be a mom among all you brave and determined mommy warriors/godesses!

Alice

Default Re: Hello

Hi - my daughter was born at 28wks (2 lbs) and we spent 11 wks in the NICU. I was determined to BF. She was not able to get any food (except the TPN) until she was 10 days old - and then it was 1cc!! I pumped using the hospital grade pumps every 3 hours! I would try to sleep for 4 hours at night. I was obsessed about making sure I was pumping on time (to the point of having a breakdown while at DH's Aunt/Uncle house because their power went out and it was getting to be 5 hours between - we headed back to the NICU so I could pump!).
    As was stated by a pp, do the Kangaroo care!! It is wonderful for you and baby! Both DH & I did it as much as possible with Molly while she was in the NICU. There was also a great LC at the NICU that helped get us started BFing as soon as the DRs would allow. We started with dry feeding (I would pump and then put her to breast while they fed her through the NG tube). That was to get her use to the thought that food comes when she was at mommy's breast. Then slowly we introduced 1 BFing/day - she was so small it took a bit to feel comfortable and to get a good position for both of us. Then we slowly built up #of feeding per day until the last weeks she was in the NICU I was BFing her basically on demand from 5am to 10:30ish pm - She got the midnight & 3am feeding through her NG tube. Then 3 days before we were scheduled to take her home DH fed Molly her first bottle of EBM at her midnight feeding (the nurse did the 3am one).
    I was so worried about nipple confusion that I wanted to wait until the last possible moment! She did great though - went right back to BFing with no problems! The took out the NG tube 2 days prior to going home and DH kept going in for that midnight feeding (their special time).
    When we got home (4 lbs 13 oz) I stopped pumping altogether. I had TONS of frozen BM from pumping in the NICU. No I mean TONS - it took up almost the whole of my inlaws big freezer! DH would use some of it to still feed her middle of the night feeding so I could sleep. She was BF exclusivly until about 7.5 m when we started solids. Molly is still BFing around 2x a day although lately she is not so interested in the am feeding. She is 21 months old now and doing great!!

Advice: Drink TONS of water!!! I mean a lot. Get rest - it is very hard when you have a baby in the NICU but as everyone kept telling me - I had to be healthy to take care of Molly so I needed to take care of myself!
    Our LC at the NICU suggested Rootbeer...I had never heard this but frankly there were a bunch of us NICU mothers who swore by it after drinking some for a week!!
    Kangaroo Care!!
    Pump by the Isolete - most NICUs have screens they can put around you for privacy!
    Keep a photo of your baby with your pumping stuff if you are pumping someplace else!
    Relax! (much easier said than done)

Good luck and Congratulations!!!

I hope that everyone's babies are doing well and continuing to grow strong and healthy. I had my son at 32 weeks. He just turned one and in the past year has grown 10 inches and gained 14 1/2 lbs! Thinking back I can remember how challenging it was to have a baby in the NICU and wanting to breastfeed & provide the best for my baby. Try your best to keep up with the pumping schedule. It was so hard when I finally got to start nursing him to have to put him back down so that I could go pump so I'd be ready for the next feeding. I was lucky to have such great support from the neonatologist and the lactation nurses. It does help to keep a schedule of when you pump. I would also try to record how many ounces at each pumping. I also had to go back to work part time 3 weeks after he came home. My milk supply dropped at that time. I was so grateful to have all the frozen milk from when he was in the NICU. If you have a deep freezer, it will stay good longer. I believe 6 months. My pump came with a booklet telling about milk storage. Another thing was that I didn't know for the first week of pumping, but while your babies are in the NICU you're supposed to steralize your parts daily. Medela makes a nice microwave sterilization bag and it only takes 5 minutes. If anyone ever just needs to talk and not necessarily have a question feel free to email me. lesley_80@yahoo.com
    Gotta go my little one just woke up

hi
    congratulations on your son
    my baby was born at 28 weeks and weighed only 1.040g he was jaundiced from abt 3 days after he was born till he was 3 months old which isnt too common amongst preemies. anyways the paed said he had breastmilk jaundice so for two 48 hr periods i had to throw away my breast milk while he was given ng tube pre nan it was like throwing away liquid gold!! i also pumped almost every 3 hrs which wasnt easy i did that for 3 months but my supply was getting lesser and lesser so i had to take supplements to help increase it. i still dont know wether my son is getting full but he is picking up abt 100 g a week which seems to be ok i suppose but i do give him 2 bottles of nan which i hope to wean him off soon. how does one know if the chld is getting full or not? my son seems always hungry except when i give him a bottle? any ideas?