Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to work, not able to pump enough, and possible milk allergy...

Question Back to work, not able to pump enough, and possible milk allergy...

Hi, everyone. I am mother to a 10 week old son. I went back to work last week and discovered that I cannot pump enough for him to eat during the day while I am gone. Because of this, I had my mom (who is wonderful enough to take care of him while my husband and I are at work) give him some formula to supliment. It was because of this that I discovered that he may have a milk allgergy. He had some blood in his poop; when I spoke with the doctor, I was told it was probably a milk allergy and I should have him further evaluated - we go tomorrow for that.

Anyway, my first question is what can I do to stimulate breast milk production? I realize that, if I avoid all milk and soy products and am able to pump enough milk, I won't have to worry about the formula at all.

My second question is how much milk in my diet is too much (I've cut out everything)?

Third question (sorry) is how long after all the changes are made should some results be seen?

I am just hoping that someone else has been through this and can give me some advice.

Thank you!!

Becky

Married Anthony 10-28-2006
    Son Nickolas Anthony born 11-11-2008

Default Re: Back to work, not able to pump enough, and possible milk allergy...

I can only offer some advice based on my experience.
    My LO had a dairy allergy as well. From all I read it can take a couple weeks to a couple months to finally recover from it, but once I eliminated dairy from my diet I major results in three days, and measurable results the first and second days. You can try eating dairy products once they are 6 months. When I did this he didn't react at all and I can eat anything I want now (he is 8 months now). I did not avoid the high fat dairy products, as I think it's the lactose (sugar) or protein in the dairy that they react to...so butter and a *little* cheese was okay for me. Also cream was okay too (all fat, no sugar or protein).
    As far as not being able to pump enough, I didn't have this problem - I was actually overproducing. I got into a cycle where I was pumping before every feeding, and for some reason the pump stopped being able to stimulate a let down for me, only my son would stimulate the let down. You can try some nipple stimulation and relaxation, those help me now when I am just pumping a little bit to mix with cereal. I will be curious to hear what others have to say about the pumping though! Everything I ever heard was nipple stimulation, relaxation, and thinking about the baby (looking at a pic too).
    GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT MAMA!!

As far as the pumping questions

How often are you pumping?

What kind of pump are you using?

How much are you giving in bottles and how many bottles?

How often are you nursing while together?

Pumping is a bit of an art. A good pump and pumping frequently are the basics but you need to feel warm, safe, and relaxed to get a good output. If your stressed it will show in the form of lower output.
    Massage and breast compression will help when your pumping, as will messing around with your dials to see what works. Just turning them up will often result in more hurt, less milk.
    Plenty of water, oatmeal in the morning that sort of thing will help too. Usually though upping frequency will get you results in a few days to a few weeks depending on how aggressive you approach it.

There are also supplements you can take, like Fenugreek or Mothers Milk Tea if nothing else seems to be working to increase your supply. Looking at pictures of your baby while you pump, or watching videos (I'd upload videos on photobucket and watch them on my computer while I pumped) can also be helpful. Bringing something your baby wore or slept with to smell can even stimulate you to produce more milk.

Along with the above questions, are you getting more than one letdown while you pump? Sometimes it can just take your body a little while to get used to pumping and start responding well to the pump.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am a college professor so I have a different schedule on Mondays and Wednesdays than Tuesdays and Thursdays...and a different schedule Friday - Sunday.

Mondays and Wednesdays I pump after I feed him in the morning, (I go to work at 11 am), I pump again when I get home around 3 pm, I BF him once that afternoon, I usually BF twice in the evening, and I pump at least once during the evening (usually just before I go to bed).

Tuesdays and Thursdays I pump after I feed him in the morning (I go to work at 9 am these days), I can't pump again until I get home at 3 pm, I BF around 4, I go back to work at 5 pm, pump again when I get home at 10 pm, and if my son is awake I'll feed him again before bed.

Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays I pump after I feed him in the morning, once at some point in the afternoon, and once at night before bed. Unless we're going somewhere (like Church on Sunday) where it's not easy to feed or unless my husband and I go out and leave my son with his grandma, I BF rather than feed with bottles.

When I leave bottles, I usually put between 4 and 6 oz in each bottle (depends on how much was in the bags I poured in). When I pump after his morning feeding, I usually only get 1.5 oz; so I leave that in the bottle for a feeding - he always seems to want something small to eat while I am in the shower.

(I hope that's enough detail for you...)

I have a Lansinoh Double Electric pump.

My son usually drinks around 9 oz on Mondays and Wednesdays and around 20 oz on Tuesdays and Thursdays. (He also gets a 4oz bottle at church on Sunday.)

When I pump after I get home from work, I usually pump somewhere between 2 and 3 oz. If I pump after feeding, I usually pump 1.5 oz.

So, on average, I pump 5.5 oz on Mondays and Wednesdays, 8 oz on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 5 oz Friday - Sunday. I pump about 42 oz a week and he needs 62 oz...
    Becky

Sometimes I get more than one letdown when I pump...sometimes I don't...

I've tried having pictures of my son around (usually he's not far away so I can just look at him)...that hasn't seemed to help...
    Becky

My first thought is that maybe your pumping plenty but he's just overfeeding with the bottle. A good rule of thumb is 1-1.5oz per hour your gone. So on the short days your gone 4 hours, he might take 4-6oz total, but he's taking 9.
    Now that might vary a little, and growth spurts sometimes they need more but average intake is 24 oz per day.
    Babies can suck down a bottle pretty quickly and not even be hungry, because the bottle drips and the reflex is to suck. Then a swallow triggers another suck and then the whole bottle is gone.
    Check the nipples, even if they say slow flow, they should drip drip drip not dripdripdrip. You might try less in the bottle at one time too. Maybe 2-4oz instead of 4-6oz. Unlike formula you really don't need to up the quantity a whole lot as they grow. My one year old was still drinking just 4oz at a time.
    Play around with things. A lot of times care givers overfeed too because it's very easy to sooth and quite a baby with a bottle. You might consider a pacifier if you guys don't do that already.
    There have been a lot of mom's here with that problem! It's very common.

That one long day you have where you can't pump, do you have a bathroom break? Could you hand express into the sink or toilet (I know it seems a waste) but it's better for your supply to have 5 minutes like that than nothing at all.

Also you can keep all your pump stuff in the fridge (no need to wash every time) that saves a lot of time and get's you more time with the pump.

HTH!

I did the math and, even if I just give 1.5 oz per hour, I would need 56.5 oz per week... That is still 14.5 oz more than I can pump a week......

I checked the nipples and they are drip...drip...drip.

My mom does give him a pacifier; he'll take it just for a few minutes at a time.

I asked the doctor yesterday when we went in for his milk allergy and she thinks he's doing his cluster feedings in the mornings rather than at night...so he has a need to eat more during the day because of the lack of food at night...especially since he sleeps 5-8 hours at night without waking for a feeding or a diaper change. She thinks he's making up for that lack of eating at night during the day. She told me not to change the amounts he's eating during the day because it will affect his sleep at night - and because his stomach hurts so much he doesn't sleep at all during the day and needs his sleep at night... (Makes sense to me; so, I didn't argue.)

I have not tried hand expressing...I know I leak while I am at work (pads are always stained with breast milk). I can try to hand express during my 10 minute break between classes (I really only get 10 minutes to myself Tuesday and Thursday mornings and another 10 minutes in the evenings.) As long as nothing needs my attention (students, my boss, etc.) I will try that this week.

Thanks for all the advice!
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicksmommy View Post
    Hi, everyone. I am mother to a 10 week old son. I went back to work last week and discovered that I cannot pump enough for him to eat during the day while I am gone. Because of this, I had my mom (who is wonderful enough to take care of him while my husband and I are at work) give him some formula to supliment. It was because of this that I discovered that he may have a milk allgergy. He had some blood in his poop; when I spoke with the doctor, I was told it was probably a milk allergy and I should have him further evaluated - we go tomorrow for that.

Anyway, my first question is what can I do to stimulate breast milk production? I realize that, if I avoid all milk and soy products and am able to pump enough milk, I won't have to worry about the formula at all.

My second question is how much milk in my diet is too much (I've cut out everything)?

Third question (sorry) is how long after all the changes are made should some results be seen?

I am just hoping that someone else has been through this and can give me some advice.

Thank you!!

Hi, there!

Congrats on your new baby! It sounds like you all are having some tough times with different things. Many new mothers who have similar obstacles when they first start breastfeeding are able to adjust just a few things and then are able to have a successful, positive breastfeeding experience. Hang in there! It will get easy with every day & week.

It's great that you're taking your baby to see your ped. Sometimes, it can just be reassuring and good communication is always a plus. :O) Is baby having plenty of wet/poopy diapers a day?? How much did he weigh at birth and how much does he weigh now?

One thing to remember is that a baby will usually still take a bottle even if they're not hungry... this is from their need to suck. Many bottle fed babies can be overfed because of this. Encourage your mother (or whoever is feeding baby) to burp after every ounce or so... this will help baby become satiated much easier. And, since a small baby will generally take in about 2-4 ounces per feeding, if mom stores her expressed breastmilk in these quantities, she may help avoid waste.

While most moms can eat anything they want in moderation, sometimes gas/fussines in baby can be traced back to something mom recently has eaten. Have you eaten anything different or in a larger than normal amount recently that might cause baby to be extra gassy? Dairy is usually a common culprit. If you eliminate/reduce the amount of dairy you take in & you see a difference in the gas/fussiness (usually in a few days), then you know it's dairy. Then, after a couple of months, a mom can slowly reintroduce dairy back into her diet to see if baby can tolerate it better, since their digestive system has matured some.

After milk (which can stay in a mother's body up to 2 weeks... but most can see a difference within a few days), other foods to consider are soy, egg white, peanuts, fish, wheat, nuts and citrus fruits, tomatoes and spices. Although it's definitely a last resort type method for moms who think the foods she's eaten might be affecting her baby, an elimination diet while making a list of foods mom has eaten (food diary) may be useful. It may be a little virus... or, if there is no mucous, it can be too much foremilk. Staying on one breast for a couple of feedings will probably help too much foremilk.

Small amounts of blood are supposed to be normal... Dr. Sears (askdrsears.com) calls them "rectal fissures" and he says they're pretty normal. He suggests using a pediatric glycerin suppositories (cut in half lengthwise).

take care and keep us posted,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicksmommy View Post
    I am mother to a 10 week old son. I went back to work last week and discovered that I cannot pump enough for him to eat during the day while I am gone. Because of this, I had my mom (who is wonderful enough to take care of him while my husband and I are at work) give him some formula to supliment. It was because of this that I discovered that he may have a milk allgergy. He had some blood in his poop; when I spoke with the doctor, I was told it was probably a milk allergy and I should have him further evaluated - we go tomorrow for that.

Also, sometimes formula can cause a sensitivity in baby. You may want to explore this idea with your ped. If baby is getting plenty of wet diapers (about 5-6 disposables a day) and is generally in a happy mood, then baby is probably getting enough. Has there been a weigh issue?
    Carla
    LLL Leader