Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does bf laying down promote ear infections?

Default Does bf laying down promote ear infections?

My ds2 is 13 months, has started reverse cycling about a month ago and now has an ear infection. I've never had this happen before with my other kids (the reverse cycling I mean) and ear infections are not common for us either. I'm wondering if bfing at night so much (every 1-2 hours!!) could have caused this? And if so what should I do?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Does bf laying down promote ear infections?

It's most likely not caused from the nursing... the reverse cycling could have been from him getting a little sick and that led to the infection. Here's more info on EI from the main kellymom website

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Our pedi tried to tell us that it did, so I tried several uncomfortable sitting-up baby positions and DD still got ear infections. I don't think there is a correlation
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

it sounds like our LO's are on the same schedule!

my pedi mentioned a few weeks ago that DS could develop a wee ear infection secondary to his molars trying to pop through... and guess what happened? it wasn't enough to need antibiotics or anything, just Tylenol and TLC. those dang molars.

anyways, i agree with the PP about BFing while laying down being A-OK.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I've nursed ds laying down almost exclusively for about a year now... no ear infections yet *knocks on wood*

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meganbeth View Post
    I've nursed ds laying down almost exclusively for about a year now... no ear infections yet *knocks on wood*
    as anecdotal as it may be, FWIW none of my kids ever have had an EI and I've nursed them all laying down. (also knocking on wood x2 )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yup mine never got them either untill they were much older, unless it was swimmer ear from this one pond we go to...

from dr sears

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/bf8.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081600.asp

heres something from that link:

NINE STEPS TO PREVENTING EAR INFECTIONS
    If your child has had several ear infections already, or you simple wish to lower her risk of getting them in the first place, here are some ways to prevent or at least lessen the frequency and severity of ear infections:

1. Breastfeeding. There is no doubt whatsoever in the medical literature that prolonged breastfeeding lowers your child's chances of getting ear infections.

2. Daycare setting. Continuous exposure to other children increases the risk that your child will catch more colds, and consequently more ear infections. Crowded daycare settings are a set up for germ sharing. If possible, switch your child to a small, home daycare setting. This will lower the risk.

3. Control allergies. If you think allergies are contributing to your child's runny nose and, consequently, ear infections,click on allergies to find out more about how to minimize your child's allergies.

4. Feed baby upright. Lying down while bottle-feeding can cause the milk to irritate the Eustachian tube which can contribute to ear infections.

5. Keep the nose clear. When a runny nose and cold start, do your best to keep the nose clear by using steam, saline nose drops, and suctioning. See colds for more info on this.

6. Cigarette smoke. There is strong evidence that smoking irritates baby's nasal passage, which leads to Eustachian tube dysfunction.

7. Echinacea - this is an herb which can safely and effectively boost the immune system. Click here for more information.

8. Chiropractic care - I firmly believe that chiropractic adjustments to the skull and neck can improve middle ear drainage and decrease ear infections.

9. Eat more raw fruits and vegetables - these can greatly boost your child's immune system and help fight off infections. If you have a picky eater, click here to read how Juice Plus can provide this nutrition for your child

Wow guys thanks! I didn't experience EI's with ds1 and I nursed him laying down for many years. This is our first EI with my 13mo ds2 and I have been trying to figure out why. He was congested this week with a cough he picked up from the library storytime we go to. I wonder if we should stay home till April! We might go crazy though!

Ketteringmom thanks for the advice, I am going to stop all the yoga-like positions we have been trying the last few night and get some rest!!

ohiomama does you LO reverse cycle? If so how are you handling it? I'm exhausted with the EI thrown in!!!! But I hope it reverses back soon!!

andreafromohio wow! Thanks for the links and info! It's great advice and much appreciated!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post

ohiomama does you LO reverse cycle? If so how are you handling it? I'm exhausted with the EI thrown in!!!! But I hope it reverses back soon!!
    i'm worn out too! he has been reverse cycling for 2 weeks or so now as i picked up more time at work. the past week and a half has been a nightmare since he has been waking up more with his ear/teeth... it has been rough. last night was better though and i think that by spending all day with DH yesterday-- who made a conscious effort to get DS back on a "schedule" with his meals and lots of one on one playtime-- that helped us tremedously. he is starting to feel better now too and that probably makes a difference as well.

again mama. i know how you feel. we're just trying to take it one day (or night!) at a time.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb