Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you clean your pump at work?

Default Re: How do you clean your pump at work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    like a pp said; bm is "good" at room temp for 8 hours so I didn't clean during the day. I just pumped, transfered milk to a Lansinoh bag and stored parts in the fridge. I cleaned when I got home.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Between pumping sessions at work, I would always rinse the horns with very hot tap water or wipe out with the Medela cleaning wipes. (Our refrigerators were shared and strange things happened to peoples lunch so I didn't trust just leaving them in the refrigerator.) I would wash with hot soapy water every evening and sterilize on weekends.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Do you guys take the parts apart after every session before putting them away in the ziplocks?

I'm using an Ameda PY, and I take the adapter cap and tubings apart from the breastshield after every session. I'm afraid this would add to the wearing and tearing of the adapter cap, plus taking them apart after each session and putting them back together before a new one just takes too much time for me.

Can I just leave the adapter cap with the tubings on the breastshield?

TIA!
    MommyOnTop
    Mom to Issen (11.02.06) and Kobe (04.10.08)

I also have the Medela wipes. I cut mine in half so they would last longer. I just wipe off my parts and put them in a big ziplock bag and wash them when I get home. I only have to pump once at work so this works well for me.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Medela makes some wipes you can use if you are not near a sink. I use them on occassion to wipe down the pump parts when I'm not near a sink. Then I just wash them when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyontop View Post
    Do you guys take the parts apart after every session before putting them away in the ziplocks?

I'm using an Ameda PY, and I take the adapter cap and tubings apart from the breastshield after every session. I'm afraid this would add to the wearing and tearing of the adapter cap, plus taking them apart after each session and putting them back together before a new one just takes too much time for me.

Can I just leave the adapter cap with the tubings on the breastshield?

TIA!
    I only take mine apart once I'm home. I store it all in the fridge/cooler when I can, but I also remember that bm is good for 8 hours at room temp.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I bought 3 sets of pump parts so I didn't have to wash them during the day! Cost more money, but saved lots of time. I just dumped the dirty ones in a bag. At night, my sweet husband washed all of them.

Since I only pump twice while I'm there, I don't bother washing at work. I just start off with clean parts in the morning before I leave for work, I set myself up with the bottles assembled to the "horns" and put them in the storage compartment and keep the other two bottles in the cold compartment ready for the switch out after my first pumping. I cut a paper towel in half and stuff it down the nipple tubes after my first pumping to keep any milk from dripping into my bag and then switch the bottles out and get ready for the next time. I also leave my hoses attached to the pump and roll them up and store them in that zipper compartment. I have an older PIS that the shoulder bag but I'm sure yours isn't much different than mine.
    Carie

Wife to Jimmy 8/14/09

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth born 8/12/08
    Birth weight: 9lbs 1oz 20"
    2 months: 12lbs 10oz 23 1/2"
    4 months: 16lbs 6oz 26"
    6 months: 19lbs 14oz 27 1/2"
    9 months: 23lbs 3oz 30 1/2"
    12 months: 26lbs 13oz 36"

We made it to a year and we're still going strong

Working &

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maria.grant View Post
    I bought 3 sets of pump parts so I didn't have to wash them during the day! Cost more money, but saved lots of time. I just dumped the dirty ones in a bag. At night, my sweet husband washed all of them.
    You have a great DH!!!!