Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean your pump at work?

Default How do you clean your pump at work?

Maybe it's a silly question, but how do you clean your pump at work after each session? At home, i wash it and sterilize it after each use. But I have no idea what to do once I go back to work...Do you just rinse it with tap water and reuse it? Also, how do you keep all the parts clean in the bag? I was thinking about a ziplock bag...good idea? bad idea?
    P.S. I have PISA by Medela

Default Re: How do you clean your pump at work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomdo View Post
    Maybe it's a silly question, but how do you clean your pump at work after each session? At home, i wash it and sterilize it after each use. But I have no idea what to do once I go back to work...Do you just rinse it with tap water and reuse it? Also, how do you keep all the parts clean in the bag? I was thinking about a ziplock bag...good idea? bad idea?
    P.S. I have PISA by Medela
    When I first started pumping at work I washed my pump with soap and water after each session. Then I found out you can store your pump parts in the fridge between pumping sessions so I did that for a long time. Then I realized bm stays good at room temp for several hours, so I started storing my pump supplies just in my office after each session with no special care. I would take my pump home every night and have dh clean/steralize the bottles and pumping stuff. I'd do what you're most comfortable with. You will save a lot of time not washing your pump between each session, but remember to only do what you're comfortable with.

As far as keeping the parts clean I just stored everything in one of the black half mesh bags that came with the PISA. A ziplock would work just fine too.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I just rinsed mine in tap water and set the parts out to dry on a paper towel. I have a nice sunny window so that worked really well for me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

like a pp said; bm is "good" at room temp for 8 hours so I didn't clean during the day. I just pumped, transfered milk to a Lansinoh bag and stored parts in the fridge. I cleaned when I got home.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have a sink in my office so I washed mine each time...or at least rinsed them if I was in a hurry. I transported the parts to/from work in a zip lock.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

like pp, at first I cleaned them after each use. (But I used the Medela wipes.) After awhile though, I just put them in a bag and put them in fridge with the bottles. Then I clean them well when I get home.

i clean with hot soapy water (there is a sink in our new mom room) then i use the sanitize microwave bag by medela in between each session. i admit i am a bit of a germaphobe, though. the medela wipes (or any anti-bacterial wipes) are good for quick cleaning the outsides of the horns but can't go into the connectors like water.

Between pumping sessions - I'd put new bottles on the "horns", put them in a clean ziplock & then in an opaque bag & then put them in the fridge.

At home in the evening I'd wash everything with hot soapy water & let air dry.

I only actually sterilized a handful of times.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

When I first started pumping, I would wash the pump parts with hot soapy water after each pumping session. It was taking me forever! So I ended up just rinsing the pump parts well with tap water in between sessions, and in the evening DH would wash the parts in hot soapy water and allow them to air dry overnight for the next day.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I bought a tub of Sani Hands for kids - clean really well and air dry. It's done in my office and nothing leaves or gets noticed. I'm proud to breast feed, but it's embarassing to pump at work!!!!!!