Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: encouraging stronger sucks

Default encouraging stronger sucks

I have a 6 1/2 month old little girl who has been on formula for about 2 months. I started having issues with low supply at 4 months and my doctor kinda talked me out of trying to keep bf. I really want to get her back on mamas milk though so I started relactating about a week ago. My supply is going up nicely (I got a whole oz in one sitting this morning ) and DD has never stopped comfort nursing at night so she still latches well.
    However, now she latches and falls asleep right away. She'll do a few "butterfly sucks", maybe a few weak little ones while she sleeps but that is it. I know I have enough milk to at least get her mostly full (she takes 3oz a bottle now) if she would just work a bit harder to get to the milk.
    Any ideas on how to get her to suck rather than just fall asleep?? I never thought I would wish she would stay awake, but here we are. lol.

Default Re: encouraging stronger sucks

I'm guessing that she's gotten used to the instant gratification of the bottle. There are probably more things to try than this but what immediately comes to mind are the following:

An SNS. This way she will recieve all her nutrition at the breast, and stimulate your supply at the same time. You can probably adjust how quickly she gets the supplement, so that could be helpful.
    Try to stimulate your letdown before you latch her. This way she's getting that "rush" of milk she's used to. Also, try some breast compressions once she stops drinking to see if you can keep her on.

Hope that helps! And congratulations on relactating and getting baby back to the breast!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Awesome, thanks. I'll try and SNS. She is doing a bit better at the night feed, so if I could get some milk to her it may help her see that I can provide food for her.

Good luck Mama! Let us know how it goes!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63