Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle nipple size question???

Default Bottle nipple size question???

Hi all!

My LO is almost 5 mos (will be this saturday) and I started supplementing her with some formula () during the day (vs 100% EBM like before, I give her formula twice and twice EBM), as I said in my other thread, I'm having problems with my supply and pumping less and less and she eats more. She used to eat 3 oz in 40 min, I'd say, like she's eat 1 -1.5 oz, then reast for 15 min, then cry for more , with formula she seemed to struggle even more, so I decided I have to change nipples for Leve 2 (we use BornFree). Now my f-i-l tells me 3-rd day in a raw that they're too big for her, she'd take it in her mouth, "chew" on it, play with it, milk is leaking oout...And then after a while she'd start eating. But then she's finish it pretty fast. He sais she chokes, but I don't buy it , I know he likes to make it sound scarier than it is, because I tried giving her those on sunday/monday, sunday she was kind of ok, monday she refused to take anything but breast... But she didn't choke. Is it possible she still needs Level 1 at almost 5 mos? Should I just go back to those and forget about the whole thing for now?
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: Bottle nipple size question???

We used Level 1 for longer than the package recommended, so it might be worth trying to switch back. We only went up to Level 2 when DS was obviously frustrated with how slow the flow was and refused the bottle altogether. He did need some adjusting time when we went up (around 6 months), but made the transition pretty fast.

Default Re: Bottle nipple size question???

Thanks!
    We did switched back to Level 1 and she doesn't seem to mind. Level 2 has to wait then!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work