Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick question...

Question Quick question...

My 2 mo dd has started sleeping for a 4-6 hour stretch during the night. This leaves one or both of my breasts really full in the AM (Just in the past 5 min I got 5 OZ out of one). I had been pumping every AM to build up my stash and I stopped about 5 days ago because I decided to stay off work longer and won't need a stash just yet. So... between me not pumping and her sleeping I am pretty full... I can't even get ready in the am without them leaving all over me! haha

Will this adjust eventully??? Or should I pump to relieve them as I did this morning? How long does it take to adjust? It's already been about 5 days or so.

Thanks!
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

Default Re: Quick question...

It will adjust eventually, but if you are uncomfortably engorged you can pump just enough to relieve the discomfort without stimulating your breast to make more. You don't want to stay engorged too long becuase it could result in plugged ducts or mastitis.

That's really nice you are getting a longer stretch of sleep at night!! Enjoy it while it lasts, it might change up on you before you know it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I pump every morning just to relieve the engorgement so dd can latch on.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I pump every morning when I wake up also. DS is 9 months old and I stay home with him, however, I want to make sure I have plenty of milk frozen just in case of emergency (sickness, drastic decrease in supply, etc.) It puts my mind at ease knowing I have a stash in the freezer! I have heard of some ladies getting to their 1 year goal of nursing because of the milk they had stored. However, if you do not want to do this, I agree with PPs that your supply will adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    It will adjust eventually, but if you are uncomfortably engorged you can pump just enough to relieve the discomfort without stimulating your breast to make more.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Ok, thans everyone! I think I will go back to pumping every morning so it makes me that much more comfortable! I didn't even think of getting clogged ducts! Thanks for the help again!
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

I've been having the same issue now that LO sleeps 6 - 7 hours at night. For us, she ramps up her feedings in the evening until she passes out around 9 - 9:30pm. She wakes around 4am - 5am, sometimes as long as 6am.

By that time, I was badly engorged. I had a couple of bouts of clogged ducts. What I've been doing is staying up until midnight and doing a full pumping then. I've been getting about 120ml. But I'm MUCH more comfortable at the early morning feeding. No more being engorged and I'm slowly building a little stash.

I know technically I'm encouraging myself to produce more. But without a back up stash, I don't mind it right now.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and