Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding DS to sleep

Default Breastfeeding DS to sleep

My DS is now 9 months old. I took him today for his check-up and the dr said that I need to stop nursing him to sleep because his teeth need to be brushed before bed. He is doing table food 1-2 times a day and nursing at least 8 times a day. I did some research (on Kellymom & Dr. Sears) and studies suggest that breastmilk alone is not necessarily linked to early dental caries. Once solids/juices are added in, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene.

All this being said...I hate to stop nursing him to sleep. It works so well for us, and I hate to wake a sleeping baby. For the most part he is sleeping through the night and maybe wakes onceat most to eat. Would it be okay for me to just brush his teeth right before nursing him to sleep? That way it would get rid of any bacteria from table food, etc. Any opinions on this??

(By the way, for any mommas out there concerned about anemia in their breastfed baby...just thought I would let you know, DS's iron was perfectly normal today. That is without any vitamin supp and pretty much on breastmilk alone! I was very pleased! Surprise, surprise, there is enough iron in breastmilk!

Default Re: Breastfeeding DS to sleep

I think if you brush before the nurse to sleep you should be fine! I know that you shouldn't leave babies to sleep with bottles, but the breast is different. Once they stop sucking, there's no flow, kwim?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Here is some info that may help you make an informed decision. I think to many moms, the benefits outweigh the risks. Nursing at night time can also help reduce the risk of SIDS and for many moms the best way to get their lo's down. Many moms have nursed their babies and toddlers at night without problems.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Glad you posted this, I often wondered about this issue. Nursing to sleep is the only way my DS goes, bed time and nap time.

DD is almost 13 months and I was still nursing her to sleep up until a week ago. I would just brush her teeth when she got into her jammies, then we would nurse. And I definitely didn't plan on brushing her teeth if she woke up and nursed in the middle of the night!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated!

I always have just brushed my kids teeth after jammies (we actually have a song...teeth/potty/jaaaaammaaaaas...don't ask!), and have never had any problems with my kids teeth. In fact my oldest, who is 8 1/2 nursed until he was 2 yrs 8 months and nursed through the night until over 2 has the most beautiful teeth! I think it's more important to make sure the "food" particles are off the teeth (acidic, etc.) then your breastmilk.

Most studies show that it's fine to brush after solids, then nurse to sleep. Unless your lo has problems with his teeth, of course.

I nursed my lo to sleep until she was 18 mos old and never had any problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous