Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pokey Eater

Default Pokey Eater

What do I do if my baby just won't focus on eating, but then complains that she's hungry? She's 13 weeks old but 3 weeks from term (she was a 10 week preemie). Some feedings, she takes charge and eats vigorously for a half hour on each side. But just now, for instance, she sucked for a few minutes and then fell asleep or lost interest (after really seeming hungry), so I spent about 40 minutes trying to get her to eat, and then gave up; now she's acting hungry again. Should I have waited before? Maybe she wasn't really hungry, it was something else?

Default Re: Pokey Eater

awe your little one is very young yet..
    give yourself some time and you will know baby beter and will be able to tell beter what their needs are.

Hubby always says "FEED THE BABY"

She is still very young & being a premie means she's even more immature. Just keep nursing her on demand and following her cues. They will become more scheduled when she gets older. Just watch that she doesn't go too long between feedings. (You want 8-12 or more feedings every 24 hours)
    Renee
    LLL Leader

How wonderful that your baby is still getting your milk! What a gift! No doubt, it's been a tough road so far. It sounds like you all are having a rough time... Hang in there, it does get much easier as time goes by.

Many mothers of preemies find that Kangaroo Care works well. I'm sure you've done a lot of this, too. How does wearing your baby in a wrap/carrier of some sort work for you? Many moms find this makes some things easier.

Could your little one not like the way your milk flows out at first? Too slow? Too fast? Are you still pumping? When your baby falls asleep easily (like you described) have you been able to try some breast compression?

In addition to nursing those 8-12x a day, baby should have plenty of wet and poopie diapers.

What has your ped suggested?

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Also, what kind of support system do you have? Do you attend LLL Meetings?
    Carla
    LLL Leader