Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged ducts and swollen lymph nodes

Default Plugged ducts and swollen lymph nodes

Hello ladies! After 3 months of pumping and trying to breastfeed, my babe finally got it and we have been ebf ever since (he is almost 6 months now)! In the month of Nov. I had about 4 plugged ducts on my right side. I was able to take care of them quickly without any infections. A few weeks into Dec. I found a knot on my right breast. I went to my obgyn and had an ultrasound and tech said it was a swollen lymph node. I'm guessing it was a result of all the plugged ducts. Dr said to call back if it is still there in 6weeks. Well, it is still here and next week is the end of the 6 weeks. My primary care dr. suggested I take a round of antibiotics to see if the swelling will go away. I don't want to do that unnecessarily. Sorry this is so long, but I was just wondering if anyone else had similar things happen and how long the swelling lasted. Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Plugged ducts and swollen lymph nodes

I had enlarged lymph nodes the entire time my son nursed (he weaned last month, at 21 months), and I have seen different docs and been assured that there's nothing going on in terms of cancer, but the nodes remain. One doc said it was caused by breastfeeding , but the other disagreed; he said that there wasn't much to do about it while nursing though. I hope you get some answers--and if you do, please share! It's only on one side for me, by the way.

ETA: During the past 16 months I've had 14 rounds of antibiotics, and none has gotten rid of the nodes, so I'm not sure they'd necessarily be much help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post

ETA: During the past 16 months I've had 14 rounds of antibiotics, and none has gotten rid of the nodes, so I'm not sure they'd necessarily be much help.
    Did you have any problems with thrush when you took the antibiotics?

I was very fortunate not to have thrush. I did have some yeast infections, but I was pretty religious about yogurt, etc. I know a lot of people use probiotics to help prevent thrush when they take medicines that may cause it, but I didn't do that (though I probably should've).

what antibiotic does doc want you on?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    what antibiotic does doc want you on?
    Not sure yet. If it's still swollen next week, I'm supposed to call. I have no idea what she will recommend.