Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm done at almost 5 mos:-(((((((((

Default Re: I think I'm done at almost 5 mos:-(((((((((

If your lo is wanting to nurse more often when you are together she is signaling your body to make more milk. Which is a good thing if you are wanting to continue to nurse.

There is a growth spurt around 6 months so she could be demanding more milk for that.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

She could also just crave the closeness and want to reconnect with you when you are home. Don't necessarily take it as she is just hungry when she asks for you every hour at home. She could just BFing as much as you do. Try to stay positive mama, you're doing a wonderful job

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'm so sorry you're feeling down, mama. But keep in mind that supplementing with formula doesn't mean you have to stop breastfeeding. I had to supplement from the first day I went back to work (5 weeks after the birth). I kept pumping while at work to keep my supply up, but never got enough to get her through the next day. I continued to breastfeed her when we were together, though- evenings, nights, and weekends and she nursed until just after her 2nd birthday.

So please don't feel like a failure or like you might as well give up altogether. All you can do is your best and it doesn't have to be perfect. You're still doing a wonderful thing for your daughter.
    This is exactly what I had to do... I could never quite pump enough for my LO to only have BM in her bottles, so I would have daycare supplement with formula. When we were together, she would still BF with no need for supplements, however. I finally convinced myself that there's only so much I can do, and that I was doing the best I could so I didn't stress out about it so much. Here's how I did it... I would send 3 bottles, 4 oz. each to daycare. Then I would also send 3 empty bottles to daycare for them to put formula in (daycare provides formula.) I would have daycare offer my LO her 4oz. bottle of BM FIRST, and if she finished it and still seemed hungry, they would then offer her some formula. Most times, she wouldn't drink too much formula, maybe 1-2 oz. per feeding. Sometimes she wouldn't even finish all her BM at a feeding, so daycare didn't offer formula at that feeding. So in a day she would have ~12 oz. BM, but maybe only 2-4 oz. formula, and to me that's not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    Nope, it's not the case, as I got mine 3 months ago (for the first time),
    but thanks anyway for your support
    Just wanted to mention... AF returned for me when my LO was only 6 weeks old. To this day, my supply is like a rollercoaster, and will dip and surge depending on where I'm at in my cycle. I seem to have less milk when I ovulate, and just before AF is scheduled to arrive, and more milk at the other times of my cycle. You *could* be experiencing the same thing??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    cause I know I don't produce enpough for her and I'mthinking I might be starviing her.
    Just remember... just because you can't pump that much, doesn't mean your LO isn't getting what she needs at the breast. Some mamas just don't respond well to the pump, but their LO's can get plenty of milk directly at the breast. Just keep BFing her when you two are together, and do the best you can to pump, but don't beat yourself up if you can't pump ALL your LO needs. It'll be ok, I promise! As one who supplemented my LO, I can tell you I felt very guilty at first about it, but in reality once I stopped stressing out so much about not being able to pump enough, it was so much easier for me. You can do it, mama!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    This is exactly what I had to do... I could never quite pump enough for my LO to only have BM in her bottles, so I would have daycare supplement with formula. When we were together, she would still BF with no need for supplements, however. I finally convinced myself that there's only so much I can do, and that I was doing the best I could so I didn't stress out about it so much. Here's how I did it... I would send 3 bottles, 4 oz. each to daycare. Then I would also send 3 empty bottles to daycare for them to put formula in (daycare provides formula.) I would have daycare offer my LO her 4oz. bottle of BM FIRST, and if she finished it and still seemed hungry, they would then offer her some formula. Most times, she wouldn't drink too much formula, maybe 1-2 oz. per feeding. Sometimes she wouldn't even finish all her BM at a feeding, so daycare didn't offer formula at that feeding. So in a day she would have ~12 oz. BM, but maybe only 2-4 oz. formula, and to me that's not too shabby.

Just wanted to mention... AF returned for me when my LO was only 6 weeks old. To this day, my supply is like a rollercoaster, and will dip and surge depending on where I'm at in my cycle. I seem to have less milk when I ovulate, and just before AF is scheduled to arrive, and more milk at the other times of my cycle. You *could* be experiencing the same thing??

Just remember... just because you can't pump that much, doesn't mean your LO isn't getting what she needs at the breast. Some mamas just don't respond well to the pump, but their LO's can get plenty of milk directly at the breast. Just keep BFing her when you two are together, and do the best you can to pump, but don't beat yourself up if you can't pump ALL your LO needs. It'll be ok, I promise! As one who supplemented my LO, I can tell you I felt very guilty at first about it, but in reality once I stopped stressing out so much about not being able to pump enough, it was so much easier for me. You can do it, mama!!

Buff
    Thank you for your great support and suggestions, I will try to relax as well as BF her while with her and pump just like before.

Aboout my cycle... could be, i'm not sure anymore

I'm typing with my DD on my lap, so its hard, but she thanks you too.

Just wanted to say your baby and I share the same birthday
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    She could also just crave the closeness and want to reconnect with you when you are home. Don't necessarily take it as she is just hungry when she asks for you every hour at home.
    Exactly what I was gonna say

5 months is awesome, mama! It's a great gift you gave your LO. BF doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, you can do both formula and BM (in whatever combination works for you) and still get the benefits.

Have you considered that your DCP is giving your LO more milk at each feeding than she really needs? That could be one reason why it seems like you're not able to pump enough. Many DCP are so used to formula fed babies that do take more ounces per bottle and they don't realize breastfed babies don't eat as much.

One last thing, have you preformed any routine maintenance on your pump? I've noticed that if I use the same batteries for too long I start to get less milk.

Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!

s You can certainly build your supply back up. The three physical ways of building your supply are: nursing/pumping more frequently, nursing/pumping longer at each session and doing breast compressions at the end of pumping/nursing to keep session going. Also, make sure you offer the breast first, then solids. Here are a few more ideas from the llli.org FAQ page:
    * Contact a local La Leche League Leader for information and support.
    * Encourage your baby to breastfeed frequently and for as long as he will.
    * Offer both breasts at each feeding. Allow baby to stay at the first breast as long as he is actively sucking and swallowing. Offer the second breast when baby slows down or stops. "Finish the first breast first," is a good general rule. (This technique gives baby lots of the fatty "hindmilk.")
    * Baby should end the feeding. He may do this by falling asleep and detaching from the breast after about 10 to 30 minutes of active sucking and swallowing.
    * Be sure baby is latched on and positioned correctly at the breast, that is, lips should be on the areola (the darker skin area), well behind the nipple. An LLL Leader can help fine-tune positioning as well as suggest ideas to ease soreness. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt.
    * A sleepy baby may benefit from "switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.
    * All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. Limit or stop pacifier use while encouraging baby to nurse more effectively. If you are supplementing, even temporarily, you can give the supplement by spoon, cup, or with a nursing supplementer. Contact an LLL Leader for assistance in using these.

You are doing great mama!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gelfling View Post
    Exactly what I was gonna say

5 months is awesome, mama! It's a great gift you gave your LO. BF doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing, you can do both formula and BM (in whatever combination works for you) and still get the benefits.

Have you considered that your DCP is giving your LO more milk at each feeding than she really needs? That could be one reason why it seems like you're not able to pump enough. Many DCP are so used to formula fed babies that do take more ounces per bottle and they don't realize breastfed babies don't eat as much.

One last thing, have you preformed any routine maintenance on your pump? I've noticed that if I use the same batteries for too long I start to get less milk.

Hi!
    You know, my DCP (wich is either my mom or my f-i-l) give her as much as I tell them and my ped told me to give her as much as she eats, because she's in 10-15%-tile by weight (and 50-75 by hight!). Last time we checked she only gained 13oz in 6 weeks. She's going to be 5 mos this saturday and only last week started eating 4oz! I started giving her formula last weekend and now i leave for my f-i-l 2 bottles with 4.5 oz of formula and 2 bottles with 4oz of EBM. So I kind of can't limit her food intake, she needs to gain some:-)

As for the pump, there is nothing i can do to mine, its pretty primitive: Medela Swing (maybe one of the reasons I have a hard time, but I rented once a hospital grade pump and saw no difference, so I decided to stick with it) and I use the outlset vs batteries. Anything can be done with it? Also, I've noticed that it "weekened" with time, but I can't just go and byu another one now when I'm not sude if it will make a difference and for how much longer will I need it. If I'd have to start over, I'd go ahead and invest in a really good one from the beginning, but little did I know...My friend gave me hers (she didn't have problems with supply), wich was Swing, and I broke it, so I bought exactly the same and even then I saw a very big difference between the used and brand new one. But what can I do now...

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post

Mine came back at 3 months and I have been struggling with my supply going up and down since. There have been many times I have wanted to quit b/c of the stress.

When I know my supply is going to start to dip I pump after she nurses on the side she just finished(usually only 1 side per feeding). I only pump for one let-down and don't get much but the 1/2-1 oz that I pump seems to help my supply during the low times. I do this every feeding when I am at home. It's a royal pain and I hate pumping but I've decided it's less stressful than low milk supply. I also take calc/mag supplement starting mid-cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbeever814 View Post

Mine came back at 3 months and I have been struggling with my supply going up and down since. There have been many times I have wanted to quit b/c of the stress.

When I know my supply is going to start to dip I pump after she nurses on the side she just finished(usually only 1 side per feeding). I only pump for one let-down and don't get much but the 1/2-1 oz that I pump seems to help my supply during the low times. I do this every feeding when I am at home. It's a royal pain and I hate pumping but I've decided it's less stressful than low milk supply. I also take calc/mag supplement starting mid-cycle.
    Well, mine came back at almost 2 months! And I know the stress...And constant nursing all night long and nessesity to get up at 5 to leave for work:-((( Still there:-)

When she nurses, sometimes its one side, sometimes both, but there's no way I can pump ANYTHING after nursing, at all, like maybe 10ml ! Also, I'm nursing evenings, nights (can't pump, otherwise I'd have to either quit BFing or my job) and weekends. Can try again on weekends, see what happens...

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    s You can certainly build your supply back up. The three physical ways of building your supply are: nursing/pumping more frequently, nursing/pumping longer at each session and doing breast compressions at the end of pumping/nursing to keep session going. Also, make sure you offer the breast first, then solids. Here are a few more ideas from the llli.org FAQ page:
    * Contact a local La Leche League Leader for information and support.
    * Encourage your baby to breastfeed frequently and for as long as he will.
    * Offer both breasts at each feeding. Allow baby to stay at the first breast as long as he is actively sucking and swallowing. Offer the second breast when baby slows down or stops. "Finish the first breast first," is a good general rule. (This technique gives baby lots of the fatty "hindmilk.")
    * Baby should end the feeding. He may do this by falling asleep and detaching from the breast after about 10 to 30 minutes of active sucking and swallowing.
    * Be sure baby is latched on and positioned correctly at the breast, that is, lips should be on the areola (the darker skin area), well behind the nipple. An LLL Leader can help fine-tune positioning as well as suggest ideas to ease soreness. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt.
    * A sleepy baby may benefit from "switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.
    * All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. Limit or stop pacifier use while encouraging baby to nurse more effectively. If you are supplementing, even temporarily, you can give the supplement by spoon, cup, or with a nursing supplementer. Contact an LLL Leader for assistance in using these.

You are doing great mama!
    My LO is not helping much, even though she loves BFing. She's nursing effectively for like 5, maybe 10 min max! Then she starts playing with breast. Now new thing- she squeezes it between her gums and pulls.
    She's been like this since...she was born. She's much rather ask for more in 40-50 min again! The only time when she's efficient is during her first morning feeding. And I don't get why she's not trying harder to get more, because I'd think she supposed to be hungry??? And knowing I don't have much, I'd also think she should suck for much longer in order to fill herself up? I'm so confused... I don't get it. I can barely pump any milk out (I just had a pumping session, left with like 70 mL of milk and spent like 25-30 min!), and she's not even bothering to nurse longer.
    I do communicate with LLL Leader... Over e-mail. She helps as much as she can.
    I do offer her both breasts, but mostly at night, because during the day, as I said, she barely finishes one. But she doesn't cry, just asks for food often, does it mean she's not hungry???
    She's not a sleeping baby, but a very active, easily distracted one. Once she gets a bottle, she concentrates better and eats till she's done.
    I absolutely can't stop supplementing (EBM and/or formula), because I'm a full-time working mom, my LO is watched after by my father-in-law, there's no way he can feed her 4oz of milk with the spoon! Also, when I'm not aroung she won't fall asleep without her paci, she spits it out later, but to fall asleep she needs it. So, that's not an option.

Every weekend, every holiday when I'm away from work I hope she'll nurse more often and efficient and my supply will go up, but no, she's not helping:-( So I don't know if there's anything else left for me to try...

Thanks for your support!!!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work