Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm done at almost 5 mos:-(((((((((

Default I think I'm done at almost 5 mos:-(((((((((

Hi all...
    I'm very very upset, but seems like I'm done BFing after BFing exclusively for almost 5 mos (1 week short)... My LO started eating a lot more last week (well, she eats now as much as she was supposed to a while ago, at our last check up, at about 4 mos, she only gained 13oz in 6 weeks!) and, as a bad joke, my supply, that was NEVER great, dropped... And today its even worse.
    I started giving her formula over the weekend, even though I have SOME of EBM frozen, but wanted her to get used to some formula gradually. I though I'd give her formula twice and EBM twice while I'm gone, but today I didn't even pump for 2 feedings. I's sooooooo very upset, I can't even tell. She eats like 4-4.5oz each time, and today I pumped 6 total in 4 pumping sessions! I've been struggling since day 1, but for some time could provide food for her. I don't know what else to do and don't even believe anymore anything could be done at this point, but tell me if I'm wrong.
    I tried More MIlk Plus, but withough changing my supply it made me feel sick and dizzy. Tried eating oatmeal every day, tried pumping more, nursing more... Whats more out there? I'm just frustrated, even though I'm trying to tell myself that I did great and reminding myself that I couldn't even believe I'll be able to do even 3 months! But I'm still very very upset and feel like a failure... I'm not sick, I'm pretty healthy person, I have a thyroid condition for years, so it's taken care of, then WHY???

I know nobody can help me, just complaining, cause I can't complain to my DH and my Mom, they think I'm crazy, because I did great and I did all I could... I'm so sad
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: I think I'm done at almost 5 mos:-(((((((((

Mama im so sorry. 5 months is awesome though, and WAY better than none! I can't offer any advice at all, but you came to the right place to vent and to find help from experienced mama's. I am sure they might be able to offer some great advice, especially if some have been in your situation.

Good luck Mama!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

oops one more thing!!

I never produced much at all....but baby was always doing well. My supply did drop drastically right before I got my first period though. Is this possible for you?

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

I'm so sorry you're feeling down, mama. But keep in mind that supplementing with formula doesn't mean you have to stop breastfeeding. I had to supplement from the first day I went back to work (5 weeks after the birth). I kept pumping while at work to keep my supply up, but never got enough to get her through the next day. I continued to breastfeed her when we were together, though- evenings, nights, and weekends and she nursed until just after her 2nd birthday.

So please don't feel like a failure or like you might as well give up altogether. All you can do is your best and it doesn't have to be perfect. You're still doing a wonderful thing for your daughter.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm sorry mama

Have you tried Fenugreek? A SNS? Talking to a board certified LC that might be able to prescibe something for you? I knwo there are drugs out there that can boost supply I just don't know what they are called, sorry

Some women have a harder time producing milk, but just because you may not, (and I don't believe that yet) be able to be her sole source of nutrition doesn't mean you can't still BF. Some is better then none and that bond is there no matter what else she eats. Chin up mama, there is still hope.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tinkerbinks View Post
    oops one more thing!!

I never produced much at all....but baby was always doing well. My supply did drop drastically right before I got my first period though. Is this possible for you?
    Nope, it's not the case, as I got mine 3 months ago (for the first time),
    but thanks anyway for your support

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    Whats more out there?
    Sorry you are having so many troubles mama! I know how desperate it feels to not have enough supply and try to do everything in your power to increase it.

These are some of the things that i did and a lot of tips from this site:

oatmeal every day
    fenugreek
    fennel
    alfalfa
    lots and lots of water
    power pumping
    more milk plus
    mother's milk tea

After a while (about when he turned one) even these things weren't helping much anymore. Reglan is not an option for me because I have a tendency toward depression, so I went on Domperidone. That has brought my supply back up tremendously.

I wouldn't recommend it until you have exhausted all other options because generally once you go on it, you can't go off of it until you are done lactating. But maybe it is worth talking to your LC about.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'm so sorry you're feeling down, mama. But keep in mind that supplementing with formula doesn't mean you have to stop breastfeeding. I had to supplement from the first day I went back to work (5 weeks after the birth). I kept pumping while at work to keep my supply up, but never got enough to get her through the next day. I continued to breastfeed her when we were together, though- evenings, nights, and weekends and she nursed until just after her 2nd birthday.

So please don't feel like a failure or like you might as well give up altogether. All you can do is your best and it doesn't have to be perfect. You're still doing a wonderful thing for your daughter.
    Well, I wasn't planning on giving up, but it gets worse and I started panicing deep inside, because she's so attached to BFing at night and so am I and I can't imagine us without this! We co-sleep and she nurses as often as she's pleased, so this is something I don't want to stop. As for BFing when I'm around, thats what I used to do , but noe confused, cause I know I don't produce enpough for her and I'mthinking I might be starviing her. Also, if before she could go for 2 hours in between, now, when I try to BF on the weekend and at night after work she asks for more every 40-50min.

Well, I might try again... I was doing that (BFing when around) till that last weekend and last weekend I tried giving her a bottle with formula...I don't know what's right anymore. I guess I will try to continue to BF when I'm around and see what happenes.

Thank a lot for your support and advises

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

so sorry you are feeling down. with pp 5 months is great.

With ds1, my supply dipped pretty low around 5 months and I did occasionally supplement from that point on. In retrospect, I really wish I had been able to get some rest. Instead I had stressed myself out over my supply and was staying up at night pumping trying to get enough milk for the next day.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    I'm sorry mama

Have you tried Fenugreek? A SNS? Talking to a board certified LC that might be able to prescibe something for you? I knwo there are drugs out there that can boost supply I just don't know what they are called, sorry

Some women have a harder time producing milk, but just because you may not, (and I don't believe that yet) be able to be her sole source of nutrition doesn't mean you can't still BF. Some is better then none and that bond is there no matter what else she eats. Chin up mama, there is still hope.

Well, I tried More Milk Plus and Fenugreek made me sick, I constantly had that "maple syrup" in my mouth and was always nouseus. Up to the point when I couldn't eat at all! SNS (just read about them) is usefull when around your baby, but I'm working full time, and that what's messing the whole thing up, I know...
    I will continue trying, even though that past weekend I though I'm done, its soooooo frustrating!
    Thanks for your support

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work