Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: normal? left vs right

Question normal? left vs right

So it has always been this way left makes at least twice as much milk as the right but it is "bluer" in color, I'm guessing the right one has more fat? Is there any way to even them out, If I store the 4 ounce bottle and feed her the 2 ounce one is that ok, or would it be better to mix them maybe then divide it up and store it and feed 2 ounces of mixed milk to her? I only pump once a day in the morning. Shes 9 lbs 9 oz at birth and is 14 lbs 9 oz at her 6 month check up as of week before last.

Also I appreciate all the support and input from everyone, It has been hard for the past six months but hubby comes home from Iraq today!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Default Re: normal? left vs right

mama! you are doing great.
    BM can come in an array colors. I have similar situation, but my right makes more. B/c my R makes more, i get to see much more of the foremilk, which is thin, watery,and a bit more blue tinted than the creamy, rich-looking hindmilk. I like to mix my hind & formilk, b/c too much foremilk can sometimes cause gas.
    I don't know if you can even them out...someone else may know more about that.
    HTH

if you are pumping both sides within 24 hours, I personally would mix them and then separate for feeding - just to be sure but I'm sure that it probably won't matter either way since your lo will eventually get all the milk anyway, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Lefty was the oveacheiver for me and then they switched later on in our nursing relationship. I never really checked for a color difference.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

It's normal. Mine were like that, too. I mixed what I pumped from each breast to even them out a bit.

Congratulations on your husband coming home!!! I bet he can't wait to see you and his little daughter.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Congrats on your hubby coming home! What a very special time for you all!

Yes, the different color expressed milk sounds pretty normal. If you do mix different amounts at different times, make sure they're both at the same temp... maybe after putting them both in the fridge for a while and gently shaking each container beforehand? Storage Guidelines from LLLI

This "can" even out after a while, but then sometimes just offering both breasts throughout the day will give baby more of a balanced mix... if you know what I mean??
    Carla
    LLL Leader