Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First day back at work went well.....

Default First day back at work went well.....

I'm soooo relieved. I had been dreading going back to work. I had so much anxiety about my son taking a bottle, pumping at work, nipple confusion, reverse cycling and so on. My SO stays home with our son and I was worried about him too. I work 12 hour shifts and that can make for a long day for a first time dad. He did so great with our son. I'm crossing my fingers things keep going so well.

Couple questions. I want to pump every three hours at work but I discovered yesturday that some times I'm so busy at work(I'm a paramedic) it might not be every 3 hours. Will my supply be affected if I don't pump on time? I'm also putting out an average of 4 oz. from both breasts every 3 hours, is that a good number?
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: First day back at work went well.....

Good Job! It is a hard transition. I have been back 3 months, but It still feels like yesterday I just came back.
    Sometimes I get too busy for every 3 hours as well, and can definitely see whay you would, but I just try to get as close as I can. Sometimes its 3 1/2 sometimes 4, but I always get them in. Its when you miss them all together that your supply can be affected. ( I am not an expert, but that is my understanding anyway)
    As far as the oz., I think 4 is good. Everyone is different & puts out diffferent amounts, but as long as you have enough for the bottles, you are in great shape. Good Luck!

good job mama! I would aim for every 3-4 hours, but a general rule is if you empty both breasts 8-12x per day at this stage then your supply will be fine.

Also 4 oz is great, many women only get 1-2 oz. I know how hard the battle is to keep up with what they eat, but you're doing very well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

This is my second week back to work and I was wondering the same about milk quantity. I get an average of 4 oz at each pumping as well. What I apparently wasn't doing, which I learned on this site, was pumping long enough. I was only pumping for about 3-4 minutes after my breasts stopped dropping. I guess you should pump for about 10 minutes beyond when your milk stops to stimulate them to make more. I found it quite painful to do this though.

I also pump after the morning feeding. This morning my daughter nursed for about 10 minutes and afterwards I still got 4 oz from the pumping session!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kdwall View Post
    I guess you should pump for about 10 minutes beyond when your milk stops to stimulate them to make more. I found it quite painful to do this though.
    It's so hard to leave my LO, but being able to pump makes it easier. 10 minutes sounds like a lot to me, though. I do ~5, and I also take fenugreek to help with supply. (http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html, http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=66407)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kdwall View Post
    I also pump after the morning feeding. This morning my daughter nursed for about 10 minutes and afterwards I still got 4 oz from the pumping session!

Let us know how it goes; sending you good vibes
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Don't worry mama...my DH stayed home with our LO for the first year...I was certain he wasn't going to figure it out, but he did perfectly!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Still going pretty well. Just a quick question though. For about the last week and a half he hasn't been consuming as much during the day and waking up two extra times at night. Is that reverse cycling?
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*munchkin937 View Post
    Still going pretty well. Just a quick question though. For about the last week and a half he hasn't been consuming as much during the day and waking up two extra times at night. Is that reverse cycling?
    It sounds like it might be the beginning of reverse cycling. My LO did reverse cycle. While I was at work he refused a bottle and if he did drink anything it might have been an ounce or two of milk at the most the whole time I was at work. At the worst of it, he was waking around 8 times a night to be fed to make up for his missed feedings during the daytime.
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11