Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could my 3 month old be teething?

Default Could my 3 month old be teething?

My daughter just turned 3 months old. A lot has changed over this past week...
    She's been waking and cluster feeding all night (ugh)
    She kinda gums on her hand which makes her drool ...
    As soon as she has a grip of something, it's going to her mouth ...
    She usually poops once a day but yesterday's poop was very watery.
    Oh! She also gets a diaper rash after 2 changes if I don't apply desitin.

Is it too early? What can I do?

Default Re: Could my 3 month old be teething?

could be
    maybe she is just growing! Alot of times when they hit a period of growth they want to nurse alot.

I have wondered this since my now 3 mo was 2 mo... She does the same things. It is possible bc I asked MIL when DH cut his first tooth and he was 3 mo. Like the PP said, though, it could be just normal growing. Plus they are able to find their hands now and able to hold things to put them in their mouths, which they were not so good at before. Maybe this is all we are seeing. Plus, I think I read babies begin to drool more around 3 mo. HTH

It is totally possible. My daughter started teething at three months, but she didn't get her first tooth until she was 5 months. It was a long process.

It could be. My nephew had his first tooth at 4 mos, and his little sis at about 3-4mos. My ds, however, was a drooler from the beginning and I always had him wear a bib to catch the drool, otherwise his shirt would be soaked in an hour or less. Incidentally, he did not get his first tooth until 8 mos. My dd, ever since she found out how to pick things up, has put them in her mouth. She never tries to eat/swallow them, just put them in there. I have many pictures of these "golden retriever" moments.
    So, it could just be the way your child is, which is just fine.

sounds just like my 3month old dd...except for the poop part

i think she's going thru a growth spurt...cluster feedings at night! and she is also sucking on her hand, which makes her drool. but she doesn't poop everyday...twice a week max, but that's how she's been since she was 2 weeks old, so i'm not concerned about it.

so...as for teething...it's a possiblity! i don't think there's anything you can do...but just wait and see...

Is her gum line still there? That was the best indicator for me about dd cutting her first teeth and the loose bowels. Also put your finger in her mouth, does it feel swollen? Like the other ladies say she might just be having a growth spurt, but it won't explain the loose stools. By the way, I love your baby's name very sweet and elegant.

I can relate to the drool thing. From about 12 weeks until 3.5 months (about a 3-4 week period), my son was like a faucet when it came to drool. He would soak through several bibs and onesie's a day. He cut his first tooth at 5 months. I really can't say if the extra drool was teething or not- but it does sound normal.

It's entirely possible that she may be teething.

My youngest DD started teething at 3 months, and cut 4 teeth in her 4th month !

This brings those great words of wisdom to mind: 'This too shall pass'.

Hang in there!
    Melissa

My dd has been doing the same thing since about 3 months. She's 6 months and still no teeth. She leaks like a faucet and everything goes into her mouth. And even though she's got no teeth yet, she can "bite" my nipple pretty hard. She chews on everything....so yes, I think it could be teething.

miamimama: what do you mean by is her gum line still there?