Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help please

Default help please

Hi there. I have a 13 month old ds who has somehow gotten flip flopped in his nursing. He hardly nurses in the day, just nap time and then at night time, and I thought he was self weaning. But...over the past few months the night nursings have taken off and it's like having a newborn again!!!!!

I love nursing him! I don't want to stop. I have plans to keep going until at least his 2nd birthday. But for now I'm exhausted. Why won't he sleep!?!?!?

It's not possible for me to nap in the daytime with him. And I don't have the slightest idea on how to wean much less wean at night. My first son nursed until he was over 3.5 and we just agreed that we were done so I didn't have to do the weaning thing there.

I don't want to wean anyway. I just want to have him eat in the day time instead of all night long. He's not a good eater of food. And this weekend he got sick for the first time and now he's not even eating the food he liked before. What should I do?

Thank you in advance for all your help!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: help please

Has anything recently changed? Have you returned to work? Sometimes they will "reverse cycle" to get their feedings in at night.

How about teething? Is he cutting molars? That can really increase the night-nursing.

We night-weaned @ 16 months using Dr Jay Gordon's method. We tried at 13 months but were met with hysterics and knew he wasn't ready. When we tried again at 16 months it went smoothly.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree that I think 13 months is young to try and night wean. 13 months is tons of milestones, so probably he's too busy exploring during the day and is making up for his nutrition needs at night.

Can you try and nurse in a quiet and dark room? Might encourage him to take a bit more during the daytime.

Really though if you hang in there it will probably swing back the other way in a few months time.

Are you co-sleeping? Might be worth it for a while while he's going through this night nursing stage atm.

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you. We are co sleeping and always have since day one. I won't be changing that in the near future.

He has been sick for the first time this weekend and I think that was upsetting for him. He's better physically but very clingy right now. But he had really started reverse cycling weeks before that.

I work from home babysitting 2 little girls so I'm available all day for him to nurse but green.momma is probably right, he's very distracted and all over the place which is why I thought he might have been self weaning since he had no interest in nursing during the day.

I have no idea if he is cutting teeth. He has 8 and it's been a total struggle to get those, he has had such a hard time with them. He has been drooling some lately and he's not a drooler usually but he has never let me see in his mouth so I can't tell.

I'm worried about any weaning because he is very active, not a good eater and was anemic at the 9mo well child, had been on iron for 3 months and iron came up well.

Would night weaning mean weaning or would it maybe encourage him to eat more during the day?

I like the idea of it swinging back soon on it's own. I hope it does. I'm not the only one who is exhausted. DS is tired during the day too and I want him to be well rested of course so that he can develop healthily.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

hello there...anybody!

I too have a nightfeeding baby and am so exhausted I'm thinking of weaning him completely...not that I wanted to do that yet as h is only just 1 year. he won't feed in the day as he's too 'busy' but will if encourage him..which I do but seems to make no difference to the all night feeding. Everything changed for us at around 5/6months when he went from feeding once maybe twice between 8pm and 5am to around every hour throughout the night, often more frequently..like every 20 mins to half hour! So you see, this has now been going on for almost 7 months and I'm not coping too well. Unfortunately my partner works long hours and we don't often get to see him till the weekends and I have no family support/help to prop me up a little. sometimes we will have a night where h will go for 5 hours straight but there is no rhyme or reason to this. What works well one night will have no effect another time. we co-sleep and have also read the 'no-cry sleep solution' which did give me some hope but things got bad again so gave it a break - we will give it another go though. any ideas???!!!!!!