Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choking!

Default Choking!

my son occasionally chokes while eating and i'm worried hes aspirating,any thoughts?

Default Re: Choking!

Does it usually happen a couple of minutes into the feed? Does he pull off? Seems unhappy?

This could be a couple of things. If your baby is really young, maybe he's being "surprised" by the let-down of milk. If he's handling it okay (having a bit of a gag, then happily feeding), I probably wouldn't worry too much.

If he's having trouble getting past it, it could be that you have a forceful let-down and the milk is overwhelming your baby. Does your milk spray when he pulls off? You can try to nurse him "uphill" or reclined so he is even with or above the breast. Nurse lying down (worked for us, still does), or try to anticipate the letdown and de-latch your baby before he chokes and catch the spray in a diaper or burp cloth.

There are a couple of great info pages on kellymom about OALD:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I do think it is because of fast let down, I started block feeding yesterday and pulling him off at let down to soak it up a little, it doesn't spray but it is like a waterfall. This has helped a lot but he still occasionally chokes and I really don't want him to get the milk in his lungs!

It is super scary when they choke - my DD did that a lot (every feeding for weeks) when my OS/OALD was at its worst. She is now 6 months old and she's fine. No aspirating of BM. Have you tried different positions to slow the flow of milk? Like laying on your back with your LO on top of you? Or on your side? You can also start a feeding using the scissors hold - use the index and middle finger of the hand opposite the breast you are feeding off of to compress the areola of the breast you are using. Squeeze your fingers together and push into your breast slightly, this will slow the flow down (think gentle pressure, not intense squeezing). This helped me, you only have to do it for the first 5-10 mins (probably even less than that) to slow down that first letdown.

with pp.
    Also, give Blockfeeding a bit longer to work. Sometimes it can take a week or more. My LO choked and gulped for awhile. One thing too, that I noticed when i pumped, is that one of my streams goes straight back and it is forceful. So when my LO was feeding, this stream was obviously hitting him square in the back of the throat. Really don't know how to remedy that, but it something that may be causing it.
    Good Luck!

Coughing and/or gagging, when struggling to swallow something, is usually considered a good sign. Typically, the type of aspiration that leads to big problems (ie, pneumonia) stems from events in which no coughing or gagging occurred -- the body simply allowed fluid to enter the trachea instead of, or in addition to, the esophagus.

It is worth mentioning to a physician, particularly if there are any signs of congestion not related to an upper respiratory infection. That may suggest a small aspiration -- one which the body is dealing effectively with, but definitely something your child's physician should be alerted to. Difficulty breathing or changes in skin color (to bluish or grey) warrants an immediate trip to the ER.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb