Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked nipple won't heal

Angry Cracked nipple won't heal

I have a cracked nipple that I have had for 8 weeks now. 5 of the weeks I had thrush, which was the reason I was told it was not healing. How do I go about getting this darn thing healed? It only hurts when DS nurses for a prolonged time. DS is a bit aggressive at the breast, i have tried nursing on the other breast first, then switching over like kellymom suggest. I also soak it in a saline solution when I remember....my brain fails to remind me to do this most of the time! Should I stop nursing and try to pump only on this breast? I will not be able to pump at night. I don't have the energy to set up the pump when i am half awake! Plus it would wake up DH. Should I stop nursing and pumping all together until it heals? and just feed off one breast? I do have OS so maybe it won't make me dry up during the healing process? Arg! help!
    Last edited by @llli*salamanda; January 19th, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

Default Re: Cracked nipple won't heal

This JUST happened to me...turns out I had "surface" thrush on my nipple. I made some "at home" APNO, and withing a day all cracks, gone!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have seen the ingredients on kellymom, but they require a prescription no? How did you make it?
    Mommy to Soren Elliott

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!

I do this:

equal parts Lotrimin AF or monistat
    anti-bacterial ointment
    cortisone (like cortaid)

it isn;t as strong as prescription APNO, but I have a hard time getting my doc to prescribe it. Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Dr. Jack Newman sent me a perscription for his APNO over email and I just had to print it off and take it to the pharmacy (you just have to make sure its a compounding pharmacy). It cost 35$ but after a week of using it my crack is healed.
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Thanks!

Should I still nurse off the injured breast then? and If yes, do I need to wash off the APNO first?
    Mommy to Soren Elliott

Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!

My pharmacist said to wipe off the APNO if I remembered, but if I didn't, she said it wouldn't hurt the baby. Just in case. This was for the prescription APNO, Im not sure about the home made one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*salamanda View Post
    I have a cracked nipple that I have had for 8 weeks now. 5 of the weeks I had thrush, which was the reason I was told it was not healing. How do I go about getting this darn thing healed? It only hurts when DS nurses for a prolonged time. DS is a bit aggressive at the breast, i have tried nursing on the other breast first, then switching over like kellymom suggest. I also soak it in a saline solution when I remember....my brain fails to remind me to do this most of the time! Should I stop nursing and try to pump only on this breast? I will not be able to pump at night. I don't have the energy to set up the pump when i am half awake! Plus it would wake up DH. Should I stop nursing and pumping all together until it heals? and just feed off one breast? I do have OS so maybe it won't make me dry up during the healing process? Arg! help!
    Hi, there.

Sorry to hear about your cracked nipple. It sounds like it really hurts and for such a long time, too! Many other mothers have been in similar situations and have been able to keep breastfeeding. Hang in there!

Sometimes, cracked nipples can lead to some infections (open wound, etc.), too. Have you seen your doc/LC about this? You may also keep the wound clean and air dry, too, going braless whenever possible. A breast shield in between nursings may also help from abrasive bras or shirts, etc. I've heard some good results from Jack Newman's thrush protocol, too, as the others have mentioned. If it clears up within a couple of days, it was probably yeast related. If it doesn't, then you may have an infection that needs to be seen by a doc/LC.

In the meantime, if nursing hurts too much, you may want to pump on that side on a low setting, so that you don't become engorged and your supply isn't affected. If you do offer your baby pumped breastmilk, you may want to give it by a spoon, dropper, or cup or other supplemental feeder. How old is your baby?

Keep us up to date, too!
    Carla
    LLL Leader