Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Morning Issues! HELP! >_<

Angry Morning Issues! HELP! >_<

Every morning at 7:30 my 8 week old son starts to fuss. He growls, grunts and screams...followed by crying. He doesn't want to nurse, his diaper is dry(we always change it right when he starts this), not too hot, or cold... I'm not sure what it is. Hes been doing this for the past 3 weeks. I've tried colic pellets, Tylenol, tummy massages, try to burp him, play with him, nothing works to calm him down. Magically around 11:30 this stops and at noon he goes down for a nap until 1:30ish. Does anyone know what may be causing this? My boyfriend and I are at our wits end.
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

Default Re: Morning Issues! HELP! >_<

Hmm.. I am sorry for your troubles! The only thing that I can think of is something that my LO does in the mornings. She poops! Does he ever produce anything?

Are you having any other problems like OALD or OS? My LO has trouble still to catch up with my morning supply because she has been sleeping longer so I have accumulated more milk.
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

So your 8 week old is awake from 7:30am until 12 noon? That seems like a long time. I know when DS was that young, he'd be up for only 1/2 hour in the morning, and then would need a nap. Later in the day, he'd be up for an hour or two at the most before needing sleep.

Can you get ahold of the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD? This might give you some ideas on how to soothe him.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*steveandlacie View Post
    Hmm.. I am sorry for your troubles! The only thing that I can think of is something that my LO does in the mornings. She poops! Does he ever produce anything?

Are you having any other problems like OALD or OS? My LO has trouble still to catch up with my morning supply because she has been sleeping longer so I have accumulated more milk.
    He does poop sometimes, but I feel like its mostly my doing? One of the things I always try is bicycling his legs to try and make him feel better. Its definitely a possiblity that this is part of the problem. But why start having loud painful sounding poops all the sudden? and why does it take 4 hours? and is this normal?

I Do have OS and OALD, I'm not usually engorged in the mornings because he still is eating every 2 hours at night.

and I do have the happiest baby on the block DVD and they 5 S's work for about ten minutes, then hes up again fussing.
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

Hi, there.

So sorry you're having a hard time in the morning. Babies cry for many reasons... it could be because they're overtired, overstimulated, lonely or uncomfortable. Whatever the reason for fussiness, he probably likes the comfort of just being held. Sometimes it can end up being trial and error, too... Keep following your mommy instincts. Of course, you may also want to have your ped take a look at your baby, to help rule anything, too.

It can be different for every baby, but maybe it's more noticeable to everyone in those early hours? Also, it's not uncommon for baby to feel the affects of something mom ate after some time has passed, too.

Many breastfeeding moms are able to eat whatever they want in moderate amounts. Sometimes, if they eat "a lot" of a certain kind of food, it can cause fussiness. Dairy is one of the more possible foods that a mother can eat and can upset a baby, making him gassy and fussy. Dairy takes about 2 weeks to completely pass through mom's system, but a few days of avoiding things like milk, ice cream, (sometimes) yogurt, may cut out most of the fussiness.

Many times, burping, changing baby's diaper, a warm bath followed by a massage, swaddling him in a light blanket, rocking in a rocking chair helps. Using a baby carrier is the easiest thing for most. You might even try nursing in a quiet room without distractions & some white noise. Laying baby across mom's lap and rubbing baby's back can help sometimes, too... this helps with gassiness.

There's a few other things you may want to try, too. The 5 S's worked great for us, too. Swaddle, put baby on their Side, Sway, nurse or give baby a paci to Suck, use a loud white noise as Sound... Dr. Karp's method, as others mentioned.

Also, have you started any new meds lately? What about pre-natal vitamins? Although it's probably a good idea to continue with vitamins, sometimes they can cause baby to have some stomach/digestive problems.

Hope you all are feeling better soon,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

How has it been going with you are your LO? I thought about you this morning when my LO was fussing. I was thinking that something that works for us is to put her in bed with us/me. I don't know how you feel about co sleeping...I'm not dead set on it but I will let her if she seems fussy because even just laying by my breast seems to quiet her down. Maybe you could try to nurse him in bed, laying down and leave him there. This works for me most of the time because I am still at home and dont have to rush out the door. I hope this helps! Let us know how things are going.
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

I know this is going to sound weird, because it did to me the first time someone suggested it. In fact, I rejected it outright until some time after the second person suggested it. I only even tried it then because I ran out of other things to try. But it was THE answer for my little guy, and we've been doing it ever since.

Babies are born with an instinct to eliminate away from their bodies. When they need to go, they fuss and cry for a good long time before going. This gives us a nice window to undress them and allow them to go into a potty, a bush, a towel, the yard, a sink, whatever works best for us. Most mornings, they will wake (or get restless and fussy) when they need to pee. They will calm down right away afterwards. (This instinct is also why they pee as soon as you remove their diaper to put on a fresh one.)

Here is a link to a site full of awesome information. Elimination Communication is what the vast majority of the world does with their babies, but it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. You could just give it a try whenever he starts his fussy time, or any time you think it would make him more comfortable.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions if this feels like something you want to try.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012