Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old only breastfeeds for 5 minutes

Default 3 month old only breastfeeds for 5 minutes

Hi everyone- I appreciate this site so much and thank you in advance for any replies!

I am beginning to be concerned that my 3 month old is not getting enough to eat. She usually eats every 2 hours, but only feeds for about 5 minutes, and usually only on one breast. Sometimes I am able to get her to go a couple more minutes on the other breast, but usually she'll begin to squirm and fuss if I even attempt to latch her on again.

She's gaining weight very well - she was born at 5 lb, 8 oz, and now at 13 weeks is up to about 11.5 pounds. She has plenty of wet diapers daily and at least 2 dirty diapers. She seems happy after she eats and sleeps well. Is it possible that she is just such an efficient feeder that she's able to get what she needs in only 5 minutes? It just doesn't seem possible, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should start feeding her expressed breast milk in a bottle so I can gauge exactly how much she's getting. Has anyone had any similar experiences with short feedings?

Default Re: 3 month old only breastfeeds for 5 minutes

I had one of those! If she's gaining well, happy, getting good diapers there's no need to worry. My LO would nurse for not even 5 minutes, maybe 3 and he'd be done. Just one side too, and EVERY two hours round the clock till 11 months. He did that till about 18 months or so when he nursed much less and my supply was lower, then he went to both sides.
    Don't bother with expressing milk! That will tell you exactly zippo about what she's getting. A pump can't tell you how much your baby is nursing, and it's SOO easy to overfeed or under feed a baby with a bottle vs the breast. If you did have reason to worry (which you don't, at all) a digital scale with weight before and after a feeding is a much much better way to gauge how much they are taking. Even that has it's flaws.
    She's doing perfect!

I agree with pp. My LO is 2 months and does the same thing. Only one breast - rarely the other and only if I make her and pretty much every 2 hours with a long stretch at night. She happy, healthy, chunky, and often sleepy! Sooo... I would say don't worry and let your LO lead the way.
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

DS did just the same thing. It was a combination of my fast-letdown and his efficient nursing. As long as you are seeing the weight gain, that is all you need to know! Now you can relax and enjoy your baby.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you so much for your responses and reassurance! I guess she's just a quick eater.

Smile Re: 3 month old only breastfeeds for 5 minutes

wow i thought i was the only mother that this happens to. My son who is 9 wks old does the same thing... he takes a little longer break at night but every morning around 8am the 2 hr cycle starts. I have OALD and i am guessing he has the suction down because he is chunky. Born 8lbs 4.5 oz and gained 4 lbs his first month and I know at least 2.... we find out his weight for his 2 month check next week... its good to know that not all babies are eaters or like to be on for 20-30 min it seems like all the other babies do

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl