Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mommy Hormones

Question Mommy Hormones

Sorry, I’m not sure where to post this.

My hair is falling out, horribly. I remember this happening with my DS shortly after his birth but I didn’t BF him. My DD is 5.5months old and strictly gets breast milk with no supplements. I've still have not had my mensis return. Could it be my hormones are doing wacky things this far post partum?
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Default Re: Mommy Hormones

This is happening to me also. I heard that it was normal because you do not lose much hair during pregnancy so i thought it was normal...but curious as well. I think it is due to hormones???
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

That's happening here too. I just had my hair cut on Saturday and the lady that does my hair said it felt a lot thinner. She said she can see where new hair is growing though, so hopefully I won't go bald.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I think this is completely normal. I think you don't lose any hair while you are pregnant (or very little) and then a few months (3 for me) after the baby comes, you lose all the hair that didn't fall out. It took almost 2 months to slow down for me. I was losing tons of hair, it was all over. My LO is 6 months now and I don't notice it at all.

I actually had a conversation about this very issue today with my aunt, a hairdresser. She has seen this a lot in people who do NOT BF. I am concerned about this for myself but have not had any problems with it (2 months pp). Myaunt also mentioned that her clients did not eat well, or at all, trying to lose pp weight. Are you healthfully eating enough and often? I know that it has been hard for me to get back to my ormal healthy eating because I am often preoccupied with LO. I hope this helps.
    Lacie
    Mommy to Paisley Lynn 11/21/08
    and
    Wife to Stephen 11/18/06 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and LOVE LOVE LOVEing it!
    Trying to figure out ...

Post Baby Bump Weight Loss Tracker
    170****165****160***155****150****145****140****135****130!

It's really common for the hair loss to begin/increase around 3-4 months post partum, for you it may have just started later! Regarding your period, mine didn't return with my first child until 11 months post partum, but there is no "normal" time for a breastfeeding mothers menstration to return. Some women get it back weeks after giving birth, others into the 2nd year!!

Are you still taking your prenatal or another multi-vitamin? Are you getting enough protein? Those could contribute to hair-loss, but my guess is that it is hormonal which is totally NORMAL!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    It's really common for the hair loss to begin/increase around 3-4 months post partum, for you it may have just started later! Regarding your period, mine didn't return with my first child until 11 months post partum, but there is no "normal" time for a breastfeeding mothers menstration to return. Some women get it back weeks after giving birth, others into the 2nd year!!

Are you still taking your prenatal or another multi-vitamin? Are you getting enough protein? Those could contribute to hair-loss, but my guess is that it is hormonal which is totally NORMAL!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I just got my haircut a few minutes ago and my stylist said it was totally normal. She said "remember how thick it got during pregnancy? Well, you are just shedding that"