Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Use Microwave?

Default Use Microwave?

Mamas,

For those answered my last post... thank you! We tried everything we can think of for my little girl to take her bottles. So far no luck...

My 12 week old daughter began refusing to take bottles with expressed milk since she was 5 weeks old. I was recommended to taste my expressed milk... my husband and I made a discovery that the milk did not taste "sweet". It tasted bitter. I went back to work this month and pump a few times during working hours. However, I only have microwaves and no cooking stoves available to scalding the pumped milk. Could I use a microwave to do this? I would like to keep breastfeedig my daughter. Is this even possible?

Default Re: Use Microwave?

I'm new to this but one thing I've been consistantly told was to never put expressed milk in the microwave.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

How old is the expressed milk? Is it frozen or from the fridge? Have you done tests to see how long it stays sweet in the fridge before it changes to rancid?

Here is the link to the thread on scalding. Towards the bottom of the 1st page there is a post that advises to not use the microwave. But in other posts in that same thread others say they do use the microwave. Some moms use a bottle warmer instead of stove. There are some instructions on how some moms used a bottle warmer a few pages into that thread.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kennedysmom View Post
    Mamas,

For those answered my last post... thank you! We tried everything we can think of for my little girl to take her bottles. So far no luck...

My 12 week old daughter began refusing to take bottles with expressed milk since she was 5 weeks old. I was recommended to taste my expressed milk... my husband and I made a discovery that the milk did not taste "sweet". It tasted bitter. I went back to work this month and pump a few times during working hours. However, I only have microwaves and no cooking stoves available to scalding the pumped milk. Could I use a microwave to do this? I would like to keep breastfeedig my daughter. Is this even possible?

So sorry you're having a hard time! Funny smelling milk can throw a lot of mothers off. There are some moms who say the same thing about their milk. When milk smells sour/spoiled it can be from a specific enzyme (lipase) that breaks down the far in your milk. Sometimes a mom can prevent this from happening by heating the expressed milk to a scald (not boil) right after expressing & then quickly cooling & freezing it. This will "inactivate" the lipase. Of course, you would need to do this before the milk smells sour.

Usually, babies won't drink milk that is "bad/spoiled," so this may actually be helpful in the long run... sometimes babies will make up for it later on (evenings, weekends, etc... try nursing on-demand with no bottles during these times, too). But if baby does drink your milk, usually everything's all right. Freezing in small quantities (2-4 oz.) will help avoid wasting any milk.

Is there perhaps some way where you might give refrigerated & not frozen milk for a while until things settle down a bit from the going back to work changes? Oftentimes, not needing to freeze milk can also help make things easier... in other words, just using freshly stored milk in the fridge.

Hopefully these ideas help some. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to share things that worked for me and also some other tips from moms.

For more info on Lipase and suggestions from LLLI on storing expressed milk, check this out. :O)
    Lipase. Once the milk has this smell, treating the milk doesn't help. Although most babies refuse this milk, it's not really known if it's bad for baby.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kennedysmom View Post
    Mamas,

For those answered my last post... thank you! We tried everything we can think of for my little girl to take her bottles.

PS I'll add some extra thoughts for you on your baby not taking bottles in the original post.
    Carla
    LLL Leader