Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with noisy preemie

Default Help with noisy preemie

Hey everyone - we just brought home our now 35-week-old son yesterday after a month in the NICU. He's been getting breastmilk by breast or bottle (or gavage) the whole time. When he takes it from the bottle (or gavage, before) it was supplemented with HMF.

He did have some trouble with reflux and O2 saturations after eating, and most of the time he was there his bed was at an angle so his head was higher. The night before we brought him home they laid him flat again and said he did fine.

So, now he's home (not even 24 hours) and he's been grunty and noisy all night when he's sleeping. I don't remember him being like this in the hospital - he seemed to be a lot quieter - but of course, we weren't there 24/7.

My question is - have any of you had this issue? Was it the angle of sleep? The HMF? Should I knock dairy out of my diet and see if that's it?

Right now he's breastfeeding every other feeding, and taking a bottle for the others - 8 feedings a day. He's such a champ - can't wait to BF exclusively...

Default Re: Help with noisy preemie

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*finally-a-mommy View Post
    I don't remember him being like this in the hospital - he seemed to be a lot quieter - but of course, we weren't there 24/7.
    I don't have any personal experience with this issue, but is it possible that you're noticing his grunts and noises more because he's home, in a quiet house, instead of in an isolette in a noisy NICU?

Congratulations on getting your LO on the breast!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

babies are someties noisy..
    and you guys are still getting used to each other.

ARe you sleeping in the same room?

The biggest thing they stressed to us was that baby would NOT be anything like he was in the NICU once we got him home...we were like "ok, yeah right" and it was the most true statement of them all!

We didn't supplement with HMF so I have no advice there, but I would think that he is probably just getting used to everything, as you are him!

Congratulations on getting him home!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My LO is never quiet awake or asleep. Never has been and I wouldn't think he ever will be. I was the same. He talks all day (his verbal development is awesome if annoying) and grunts and squeals in his sleep. It was disturbing when he was a newborn and I was worried about everything but as I got used to it - it reassured me nothing was wrong. It got so I only woke up if he was quiet for too long.

HE has always slept with us but it does take some getting used to.

(it may help to think to yourself - noisy babies are often early talkers and good verbal skills make school etc easier.)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.