Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meds, Surgery and Breastfeeding

Cool Meds, Surgery and Breastfeeding

My son is 12 mths old. I pumped for 3 mths with my daughter. I guess you can say this is my first time to actually breastfeed. I am on a lot of different medicines for different medical problems. My drs are very careful but I know that they are passing thru my milk. I can tell a difference in my son so I have quite some of them. I have been on Omnicef for some time now and it has given both of us a yeast infection. He is not ready to wean and I don't really think I am either. Not totally. I am trying to cut him back but I can't stand the "my heart is broke mommy" cry. I had my tubes tied when he was around five mths old. They gave me darvocet. I made sure they knew I was nursing. I pumped once. I was told the "rule of thumb" is if I am feeling ok then enough has passed/left my system. I may have to have a sinus surgery(polyp removed). I am hoping to do the same as I did with the tubal.

My ENT drs keep asking me when we are going to stop nursing and I tell them I don't have a clue. They want to put me back on tequin or leviquin but we know these are not safe for the baby. Also, they are trying see if some of my problems (chronic ear infections) are due to yeast. These are more than just "ear" infections. I have had brain surgery and I no longer have a mastoid bone. Is it ok for me to take Diflukin or Niastatin while breastfeeding? Do I need to stop nursing do to all the meds I am on? Baby eats table food, drinks from sippy fine. He also still has to nurse.

I want to do what is best for both of us. My problems have been going on for yrs. I just don't know what to do. Baby does have mild asthma. Was on steroids at 12 weeks. I know mothers milk is best. HELP! What do I do?

Default Re: Meds, Surgery and Breastfeeding

Wow, you have really been through a lot! I really admire your perseverance!
    I don’t have a lot of experience with this type of situation, but there may be some information at this link to get you started:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/index.html
    There are some threads on thrush (yeast infection), and use of nastatin and diflucan, in the “Chronic Conditions: Mother” forum, I think.
    I wish the best of luck to you and your LO.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: Meds, Surgery and Breastfeeding

Thanks! I have been looking for a site like this. This will be really helpful to my ENT.