Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerns about teeth

Question Concerns about teeth

I know teeth are a ways off still (LO will be 15 weeks tomorrow). LO has an aggressive latch. While I understand that her tongue will protect my breast from her bottom teeth, it doesn't apply to the top teeth.

Is there anything I can do to help prepare LO and I for the day top teeth do arrive? If I can make it less painful (and reduce the risk of it threatening my BFing), I'd like to.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Concerns about teeth

I actually didn't really seem to have much problem with teeth while she was feeding!
    And since I bf until she was 3 years and 10 months I went through ALL the baby teeth!
    I guess the worst was when she was about 3 she got a bit lazy with her latch and rubbed her teeth a bit.
    But that's a looooong time off for you!

Think as well that they can change a bit of their latching on behaviour, so maybe she won't be so aggressive once she gets a bit older!

my ds has four on top right now (he's nearly 10 months) and the only thing I noticed was some slight rubbing initially. Nothing that hurt, just a 'warm' sensation, if that makes sense. Only lasted a few days and he adjusted his latch
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

less painfull for her?
    Hylands has tablets you can give they work wonders.
    On realy hard days/nights you can give a pain killer what ever your doctor says is ok.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    lots of info in that link.

Try not to worry! Most moms find that babies don't bite.

My LO has 5 teeth and one more about to come in. He has bitten me several times, but so far it hasn't hurt too bad.

Far worse than the biting was the pain it caused it him when he nursed during teething. I thought I was going to have to resort to pumping exclusively when those first teeth came through, because he would pull off and cry. I would definitely suggest having some Hyland's teething tablets on hand.

It will work out for you. Don't worry about the teeth, as they may not cause any problems at all.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

I need some help in this area. My DD (10 months) has had no problems nursing with 4 top and 2 bottom. Since Wednesday she's refused to nurse. I thought we had it down pat. What can I do? She has everything in her mouth. I'm not ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommypam View Post
    I need some help in this area. My DD (10 months) has had no problems nursing with 4 top and 2 bottom. Since Wednesday she's refused to nurse. I thought we had it down pat. What can I do? She has everything in her mouth. I'm not ready for this.
    I found giving DS a dose of Tylenol twenty minutes or so before I thought he might feed was helpful (not every time...never exceed the recommended dose). I also found Camilia. It's a great homeopathic remedy for teething! I found it worked faster than Tylenol, and you can repeat it as necessary.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

My LO is 8 months and still no teeth, but I wanted to address your concern with the aggressive latch on. I used to call my LO's latch on, "Mean Latch on Girl Face", because she would squint her eyes and go to down on sucking! Since she has gotten older, she doesn't do this quite as much or as aggressive as she did before, so your LO may be the same way!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008