Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning Assumptions Of Non-BFers

Default Re: Weaning Assumptions Of Non-BFers

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    You mean that your little one didn't radically change between the 365th & 366th day of life? All normal children do, you know. It's actually quite a miracle the difference 24 hours can make - on that magical day, they become miniature adults, which is why they don't need to BF anymore. Or at least that's what you'd think, listening to what some people have told me.
    Exactly. 1 is quite the magical age: walk, talk, STTN, wean. It's a wonder they don't go off to college, graduate and start working at that age. But I guess those are the over achievers.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

When you wean your lo will start sleeping through the night

The dumbest assumption was from my former personal physician, when asking why I hadn't weaned my then 15 month old, "Doesn't he know how to eat real food?"
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

When I took Katie (2 1/2)to the ER over christmas for eating a mini glass light bulb right off the tree (another story), the doctor came in as I was nursing her and asked me sincerely if she "eats people food" - as if a 2 1/2 year old would be exclusively breastfeeding with no other source of food. He wasn't condescending in any way and it seemed like a very genuine question!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Assumptions that I could stop bf like turning off a switch.

Assumptions that I'm in control of the weaning process.
    Absolutely agree with this. I think anyone who actually breastfeeds on demand for a year, knows that it's not something that is going to then just stop overnight after their first birthday. It would be just as stupid to think that someone who FF is going to get rid of the bottle completely the day their child turns a year.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    It would be just as stupid to think that someone who FF is going to get rid of the bottle completely the day their child turns a year.
    Actually, I know someone who did this - as soon as baby turned 1, she was immediately switched to milk in a sippy cup instead of formula in a bottle. They said they were doing it because they didn't want her to have an unhealthy attachment to the bottle. Not that I'm saying it's related, but the kid is totally neurotic.

I think the main thing I got (we've weaned now ) was that I wanted it to be over because it must have been such an inconvenience and an imposition. (Sorry if someone else already said that. )

Actually, I know someone who did this - as soon as baby turned 1, she was immediately switched to milk in a sippy cup instead of formula in a bottle. They said they were doing it because they didn't want her to have an unhealthy attachment to the bottle. Not that I'm saying it's related, but the kid is totally neurotic.

I think we know the same mom and kid...

Some kids are just high needs suckers!

Alot of people that Ive come across think that when she can walk and pull at my shirt *which she DOESNT do* i should stop nurisng her.

Ive also got the comment like "dont you want to go out and get wasted, or get tatt'd and leave your baby with the grandparents over night* well NO thanks to getting wasted, Ive never been a drinker and now that im almsot 22 im still not a drinker, I can get tattoo's just been really thinking about them now as apposed to when i was a teen LOL and I ACTUALLY LIKE being around my daughter so no i DONT need a night away from her..

Some people...

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

And your kid doesn't HAVE to be weaned to leave them overnight somewhere!!

My in laws have been pressuring me to leave my daughter with them overnight since she was 3 months old..maybe younger! They don't get it that, no, I don't NEED a whole night away from her...I don't want to be away from her all night long! My sister in law, who never nursed and does not AP left her son all night at about 6 weeks old, so I'm sure that is why they think I'm a weirdo because I won't leave my 19 month old all night.