Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning Assumptions Of Non-BFers

Question Weaning Assumptions Of Non-BFers

There seems to be two common beliefs among those who don't BF regarding weaning:

#1 You'll wean when the baby's teeth come in.
    #2 You'll wean before they can ask for it / grab for it. "No way, if they can ask for it, it's time to wean. No way would I have a child trying to pull out my boob in a public place."

What do you find are the assumptions non-BFers make regarding weaning?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Weaning Assumptions Of Non-BFers

I don't even think that's non-BFers, but women who do BF say things like this. My coworker breastfed and pumped for all 3 of her kids, but made the teeth comment to me. Thinking about it, most women who breastfeed only do it for a short time, and stop well before a year.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

There's a lot of a 'you need to wean by one year' setting time limits kind of thing.

I never had any idea about when I might wean! Or how long I'd nurse and so on, it just kinda happened.

you can give cows milk at 6 months or what ever date the doctor told them.

Here are some I've heard:

"Oh, you'll wean when she has teeth! Chomp chomp chomp!"

"They get all the immunities they need in 2 weeks/3 months/6 months. After that, you don't need to nurse any more."

"You'll get so tired of nursing."

"You'll be so happy when you switch her to formula." (Not "if," but "when.")

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My lo just turned 15 months. My Grandmother is shocked I'm "STILL" nursing. She is convinced there is "NO nutrition" left in my milk.

I just get the assumption that she's weaned when she's 1yo. Like it's an automatic stop sign or something.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Assumptions that I could stop bf like turning off a switch.

Assumptions that I'm in control of the weaning process.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree that those beliefs seem to be common among women who breastfed. I know women who employ a "3 strikes, you're out" rule with biting, and many breastfeeding moms I know (outside of LLL) stopped nursing around 11 months because their child was getting to insistent or grabby. It was like once they could really request it, with words or gestures, their moms thought they were too 'grown up' to nurse. As if nursing them past that was somehow perverse, KWIM?

I don't agree with either assumption, but I think they are common throughout Western culture, not just with non-BFing moms.

-Lisa
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I just get the assumption that she's weaned when she's 1yo. Like it's an automatic stop sign or something.
    You mean that your little one didn't radically change between the 365th & 366th day of life? All normal children do, you know. It's actually quite a miracle the difference 24 hours can make - on that magical day, they become miniature adults, which is why they don't need to BF anymore. Or at least that's what you'd think, listening to what some people have told me.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png