Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure to wean

Default Re: Pressure to wean

I'm starting to get that, too. I wish people would mind their own business! I explain the benefits of extended bf if I think it will do any good; some people are truly interested. If not, or when I'm feeling wimpy or need to be politique, I say "Yes, his doctor wants us to keep going." with a big smile, then I change the subject.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmom View Post
    I feels as though I am constantly, okay not constantly but a few times a week, having people comment about my not weaning my son who is alsmost 14 months. I admit that before I started nursing I never thought I would nurse beyond a year. ...
    Wow, I could have written the same post about my 14mo. I use a "mother's room" at work to pump, and I will soon have the oldest nursing baby (er, toddler). It feels so weird to have other mothers finish pumping and "move on."

I usually follow up my "yeah, still nursing," with "because he can't have cow's milk yet (due to reflux/allergies)." I shouldn't have to say why though. We are each -not- ready to wean, but I wish I wasn't meant to feel ashamed when people ask.
    DS 11/16/07 :: Infant reflux and milk protein intolerance, egg and peanut allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    You could also go the other way and say "yeah, we've started the weaning process" (which is true, if he's started cutting back, and you could add if you want) "but it will probably be a while before we're really done"

Technically if you've started solids, that's considered the beginning of weaning. So if you say we've started weaning, you wouldn't be lying.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

I also have an almost 14-month old LO. What people ask me if I'm still nursing, I usually just say "yes." Period. But the (polite) tone I use really means, "Yes... is there something wrong with that? and why do you want to know?" Usually that stops it right there. It's really not a topic that's any of their business, nor is it polite of them to bully me about it or try to make me feel guilty or bad about it.

If they try to take it any further I usually tell them that the situation is working for both of us and that just seems like the most natural thing in the world to continue.

You know what is right for you and your child. I'd come up with some generalized responses that show you aren't really interested in or worried about, their opinions. For example..."We'll see" is a good response or "I'm taking it a day at a time, it's going well for now." Something like that might work. Our society expects early weaning, so many people react this way because it is the mainstream attitude...but that doesn't make it the right attitude. Keep doing what you're doing!
    Mom to Sydney 7/08

Actually though the true answer to the questions is YES. You have begun the weaning process. A child who is nursling LESS and dropping sessions on his own or replacing them with solid food IS in the process of weaning. That process when done gently can take YEARS. So you could just say YES. And be done with it or. YES and if they have more questions you can say "we're doing child led. So he's down from 12-14 times a day to about 8." Or whatever it is.

Way too lazy for formula

I found also as dd got older people quit asking and just assumed that she was not nursing anymore.
    After 2 the only people that knew were my hubby my older kids and my mom,
    my mil was clueless.

I like the "why do you ask?" answer because I bet they would then change the subject quick!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    I like the "why do you ask?" answer because I bet they would then change the subject quick!
    I just had this vision of saying 'Why do you ask, are YOU thirsty?'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tamarama View Post
    I just had this vision of saying 'Why do you ask, are YOU thirsty?'

I would pay to see someone's face after that one!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I'm betting they would change the subject REAL fast...