Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much solids and also constipation?

Question How much solids and also constipation?

I'm wondering just how much/frequently I should be giving my 9 mo old solids when she's still breastfeeding all the time? She really likes to eat food now (wasn't interested at first, but started really wanting real foods around 7+ mo), but she has been getting very constipated. I can't be positive that the problem wasn't me giving her commerical baby food (vs homemade/table food), but I wondered if the quantity (two meals a day) wasn't helping either? I've now stopped her "lunch" of solids and am only giving her any quantity of solids when we have our evening meal, giving her more table food (potatoes, 1-2 vegetables and possibly brown rice just a bit mashed together, rather than homemade purees I've made with meat, etc) and so far so good, about a week of constipation-free!

So I'm just not entirely sure what is best. Any ideas?

I've no idea how many times a day I breastfeed her, but it's lots! LOL Probably at least 8-12 times during the day (she doesn't always want to have a full feed at one particular time, but a bit of a drink here and there), and then she probably feeds at least 4 times in the night too! I am pregnant (10+ weeks) at the same time as breastfeeding her, but so far I don't seem to see any problems with supply, I've always seemed to have loads of milk (toooooo much really when she was small, always leaking! lol). I just want to make sure she's getting enough nutrition and at the same time not starting a viscious cycle with her having constipation. I realise that people say babies are fine on nothing but breastmilk for the first year (tho here in the UK we're instructed that they need extra iron and need meats etc from 6 mo - not that I agree really!), but if my little girl is fussing for food (even when just had a feed from me), then I worry that surely she must be needing it, if she wants it so badly, and is so much happier after she's had some solids.

Anyway, I'm rambled on long enough - sorry! Hopefully all of you experienced moms will be able to give me some good advice! Thanks so much!

Default Re: How much solids and also constipation?

Not really sure for the number of times. I think as long as the majority of her nutrition is coming from BFing I don't think there should be a problem. As for constipation, my DS likes pureed prunes as well as creamed corn puree. Both worked like a charm.

How many wet diapers is she making in 24 hours?

She might also need a little water with her meals. As far as I know, meats do not generally cause constipation; LLL actually recomends them amoung the first foods.

I tried prune juice when it had been several days since she'd had a bowel movement and the small stools she did pass were hard, but she hated it! I also tried some small bits of prunes. Never given her corn yet, I was afraid it would upset her tummy or give her wind, but I guess it was ok for your little one. For now I'm just pleased that she's not been constipated and having bowel movements about every day. I just want to make sure I don't get her in a bad way again.

Yes, I give her plenty of water with her meals. She loves water and will drink loads of it (just a matter of keeping her from showering and soaking herself with it!!) I got a no-leak sippy cup the other day and she refuses to drink from it! A bottle or ordinary sipper cup is fine, but she just makes an awful mess with it (she thinks a bottle is to chew, get water out and then spit it out down herself)! So usually I just try to oversee her when she's in her high chair with the ordinary sipper cup and the mess isn't too bad, just some drips here and there when the cup goes flying down! ;-) But being a mother is great fun, even if it is messy!

And she has *lots* of wet diapers! I'd say about 9 a day probably, and sometimes they are very soaking ones (like she's urinated a few times before I realised it needed to be changed). I use cloth ones (cotton prefolds with Proraps) and they hold a lot, so it's not always evident she needs changing until I check it really well, but even still I'd say I change 9 or so a day.
    Last edited by rachelinscotland; August 23rd, 2006 at 12:36 PM.

One of my friends's DS had constipation problem and pears juice have helped a lot.

Pear juice worked wonders for me when I first introduced solids. My son eventually got used to solids and has no more constipation.