Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question...

Default Question...

Hi Everyone!
    I posted the thread about getting my 5 month old bottlefed daughter back on the breast with nipple shield. Well it has been a huge success! We are bfing exclusively for 4 days now after exclusively pumping for the last 3 months!

I need answers tho... Does a baby completely drain the breast? After she gets through eating I can still feel that there is a little milk left. She only feeds 5 to 8 min at a time. When I would pump I can produce 4oz out of my right and 3 out of my left breast in 5 mins. Could this be why she doesn't feed very long? I am just very worried that my supply might decrease since I have been working so hard to increase it with pumping.

Thanks everyone!
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Default Re: Question...

No, babies do not completely drain a breast when they nurse. Its normal to have milk left. When he's done, he'll let you know!

Also older babies can be very efficient nursers. They have strong suction and jaw movements. Sounds like you may have a fast let-down too, so this will help him get milk quickly.

Are you worried he's getting enough? Does he come off the breast satisified? Are you getting the right number of wet and poopy diapers? Seeing weight gain? It is much easier to keep your supply up with a baby than with a pump. As long as you nurse on demand, you should be fine.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Congrats!!!

I agree with PP. Check diapers and weight. If your baby is satisfied I would't stress.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Congrats, mama, on getting your baby back to the breast! I know you must be so proud!! As the pp's said, when a baby nurses (and when you pump, for that matter), they don't completely empty the breast. There will always be at least a little milk left in your breast, as your breast is constantly making milk! Also, here's something to consider... since you were exclusively pumping before, it's possible your body was overproducing milk. That is, since there wasn't a baby at your breast "telling" your body how much milk to make, you could have had a bit of oversupply. Now that the baby is at your breast, it IS possible your supply *could* decrease a tiny bit, but only because now your body is making EXACTLY how much milk your LO needs. If you are ONLY nursing directly at the breast, your body will produce exactly how much your LO makes. If you are still pumping after the baby nurses, then your body will continue to make "more" milk than your LO is demanding, because by pumping you are basically sending the signal to your body to make more milk.

I hope I'm making sense! I feel like I'm rambling...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Congrats, again!

Good comments about watching wet and poopie diapers... Sometimes mothers who use a nipple shield experience a lower supply because the shield is too short & baby isn't able to stimulate active sucking. Has an experienced LC been able to size the shield for you and baby? If so, you may want to have your LC take a look just to make sure... It's good that you're listening to your mommy voice. If anything, the LC will make you feel better.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Good going, mama! You are working so hard for your LO. It must feel so good to be able to cuddle & nurse (that's my favorite part)!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

My guess is that since you where pumping exclusively for a few months you may have more milk than baby needs. If this isn't bothering you or baby, your body should adjust on its own within a few days or a week.
    Congrats on getting baby back to breast.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Thanks everyone for the advice and support! Bf is getting a lot better.

I think one of the problems was she is theething. She kept getting fussy at the breast and I thought it was my supply. I am still alittle nervous about my supply because they feel so soft for most of the day but I read that it is normal (I hope ha ha).

Thanks again mommies
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilliebelle View Post
    I am still alittle nervous about my supply because they feel so soft for most of the day but I read that it is normal (I hope ha ha).
    How's it going, mama?

BTW, it is totally normal for your breasts to feel soft once your milk supply has stabilized. For me, once we passed the initial stages, the only time my breasts felt really firm and "full" was the day I forgot my pump and had to try to express by hand . (Boy was I glad to see DS that night!) At first, I also thought that something was wrong because I wasn't "filling up". When I found out it was normal, I was happy because it's a lot more comfortable this way!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png