Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He's not even 6 weeks old

Default He's not even 6 weeks old

and work wants me back already! In fact, I'm scheduled for THIS THURSDAY

The only way I agreed is because DH is still off. He suggested taking the boys to the dcp and he would come to work with me and the baby, to watch the baby while I see any patients (good luck with that, as Logan cries if anyone holds him but me usually). It's not all day, just for a few hours.

Here's my concern . . . OK, I usually work Wednesday afternoon and every other Saturday. I KNOW I'm not ready to do that. A) I'm not ready to leave my very young baby just yet -- and I told my boss that I didn't want to come back to work until he was at least 8 weeks old; and B) I haven't even started any pumping yet. I have OALD and OS, and pumping just makes it worse. I found last time that postponing storing milk until baby was 4 months avoided a lot of related issues for me. C) We haven't even tried any alternative feeding methods, and the baby won't take a pacifier. I think the boss (yep, a man, who isn't a fan of breastfeeding and thinks it's worthless after 3 months) may use this one day against me, KWIM and say I should come back sooner, like next week, to my regular hours.

I am planning to tell him Thursday that the only way I made it work so early was because DH could come with me and that I still need at least 2 weeks, but can anyone think of anything else I could say or do?

I'm not protected by FEMLA, and I'm actually not technically an employee because I am "self-employed" as a relief veterinarian (sort of like a substitute teacher), so he doesn't have to save my job. He could hire a different relief veterinarian. I like where I work, I have good staff, I have my own clients, so I don't want to mess things up.

gotta run, baby fussing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: He's not even 6 weeks old

Big to you. I'm sorry your job isn't as supportive of you as it should be!

One of the first lessons I learned in my working life was "If you cave in once on something which is important to you, your employer/coworkers will expect you to cave in every time." That's how I ended up working Saturdays at a job I hated and paid beans- I said "yes" once and after that it was "Oh, yeah, she doesn't mind, just schedule her in." I know that's not the most helpful advice, but I think it might be worth it to kick up a fuss.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I like where I work, I have good staff, I have my own clients, so I don't want to mess things up.

gotta run, baby fussing.
    I would say exactly that, the bolded part. Tell him you are asking for 2 more weeks. That is it. That you are happy there and would hate for that to be ruined b/c you just need 2 more weeks.

That's the best I've got! Good luck!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I would just make it very clear that this is the only time you are making an exception. I doubt your "boss" would be willing to jeapordize your working relationship over two weeks. Also, highly unlikely that he could just fill in your timeswith someone within that two week frame.

Don't cave. You need this time with your baby.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I agree, but if you clients find out that you left because the boss won't give you 2 more weeks, they may be tempted to not go there.... the boss doesn't want to lose business
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)