Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should my 15lb 2-month old be put on a feeding schedule?

Default Re: Should my 15lb 2-month old be put on a feeding schedule?

dd is 2mos and 16.5 lbs. was 7.11 at birth. i also have gotten the "omg" faces and comments, and the ped told me i might want to be careful about comfort nursing.. but i was`also a big ebf baby, and slimmed out fine. i'm sure your big boy will be fine.. i would keep feeding on demand, and maybe trying the paci if you've fed recently...

Do not put that beautiful little boy of yours on a feeding schedule OR use the pacifier instead of mommy (unless you want to).

He is perfect, he is beautiful, just the way he is!

bunnyscooltes's picture says it all. My daughter was a chubby monkey as a baby and is now quite athletic. My DS gained alot of weight, often a pound/week at the beginning. This was partly due to my oversupply, I think. But no matter. He was 20 pounds by 4 months and his weight gain slowed way way down. He is now 23 pounds at 9 months. And, yes, he is super healthy.

Remember, breastfed babies gain weight faster than formula fed babies, for the first 3/4 months or so. Then the breastfed babies' start to gain weight more slowly. The chart your doctor is using is from data for formula-fed babies, so, yes, the graph of your DS' weight will seem really steep. It was the same for my baby at the beginning. Remind your doctor that you are breastfeeding, not formula feeding.

My doctor who is a woman and is sensible did not worry at all, even though DS was way above the 97th percentile. She said she expected his weight gain to slow down (as it has) and end up somewhere on the 85th percentile or so. Well this is exactly what its doing.

So listen to your mom-sense and not your doctor's non-sense!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Oh, thank you all so much for your responses. Seriously, thank. you. I am so glad that I found this forum! Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. I have absolutely no plans of a feeding schedule, and thanks to your responses I now have some fodder for MIL and pediatrician criticism!