Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal??

Default Normal??

I love breastfeeding my daughter, and often find it a great way to connect with my daughter. Is it normal for a 9 1/2 month old to still want to nurse every 2 hrs (I swear i could set my watch by her) and she nurses frequently during the night. Do other mom's have a child similar??

My second question is about constipation. Last night my dd unfortuanly ended up getting an enema to help her out as she was severly constipated. She nurses all the time and gets plenty of fluids offered to her often (although more is spat out and played with than drank). How do i tell if she's getting enough. I'm always able to express more after she's finished nursing, and i know she is a way better eater than i am at expressing. So she should theoretically be getting enough right???
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Normal??

My daughter was the same at 9 months: nursing every 1.5-2 hours during the day, and frequently (6-8 times) at night. It's totally normal. Is the night-nursing getting to you, or are you okay with it? If you're okay with it, there's no reason to fight it. Your child will eventually give it up on her own- but there's no telling when that will happen.

Regarding the constipation, breastmilk is the best thing you can give your baby, since my understanding is that it's a natural laxative. (I'm not pulling this out of my rear- this is what my pediatrician told me.) So long as you are nursing on demand, your baby is getting enough milk. At 9 months, you probably want to offer the breast before the solids, to encourage your baby to fill up on the more nourishing, more poop-encouraging breastmilk instead of the less nutritious, constipating solids.

What solids are you giving? If constipation is a problem, you should probably avoid bananas, apples (the skins contain pectin, which is the stuff you use to make jams and jellies firm), white bread, white rice, cheese, and cow's milk dairy products. Fruits and vegetables are great at fighting constipation- prunes especially- and if you want to give dairy, yogurt is probably the thing that is least likely to cause pooping problems.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am starting to feel tired from the night nursing. I've been just reminding myself that she doesn't understand that because it's dark in the room. Or I'll tell myself the wood stove makes it dry in here and she can't tell me.
    I do feed her solids after she nurses. I've just been getting a lot flack from professionals because i don't give her baby cereal. Everytime she's had it she's gotten constipated. She eats everything we do, as were doing blw/bls, so she gets everything off our plates. We do eat a lot of rice (Family donated us a lot of white sticky rice when we were unable to buy grocerys, i do plan on switching do brown rice when we're through it), however i try to rotate it with pastas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, peppers (yellow and red), potatoe, kiwi, apples, banana's, peaches, raspberries, oranges, pretty much whatever is on sale at the grocery store. I try and switch it up so she not eating a lot of one specific type of food. She doesn't get cows milk to drink. I really stuggle with giving her cow's milk when i know how good bm is for her. But i do offer her water and water-juice at every meal, however she's not much of a drinker.
    I was just worried as i seem to be the only baby who nurses so frequently, however i also realize i'm the only AP mom in my town who doesn't to the CIO method. I was just so upset watching her get the enema it was so painful for her. However i have 8 jars of pureed pruns and prunes that have been dried for her to eat daily if i think she may be coming constipated.
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

I am starting to feel tired from the night nursing.
    Have you read Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution? It's very gentle- no CIO- and very compatible with AP techniques. Even if it doesn't work, at least you feel like you're doing something!

I do feed her solids after she nurses.
    Great!

I've just been getting a lot flack from professionals because i don't give her baby cereal.
    :rolleyes There were babies long before there was baby cereal. And that stuff just isn't that good for them- it's just plain starch with some vitamins mixed in. You can get the same vitamins from fruits and veggies, which also have fiber. And if your baby is getting constipated every time she has cereal, then you are picking up on something real: it's just not that good for her. Some kids tolerate it well, but your probably isn't one of those kids.

I really stuggle with giving her cow's milk when i know how good bm is for her. But i do offer her water and water-juice at every meal, however she's not much of a drinker.
    Sounds like you're doing the exact right thing. So long as your child is nursing 3-4 times a day, there's no need to offer cow's milk. And water/juice is a good thing to offer if constipation is a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my lo had a similar problem with constipation...we started feeding him (when he was old enough, 6 months or so) beech nut oatmeal with extra fiber and fruit flavor, and with that plus bmilk and fruits/veggies (like pears and peas) we don't have any problems.

Unhappy Re: Normal??

I was just logging on to see if anyone was struggling with our issue, and there you are! And your dd is just 8 days older than mine!

My dd is eating solids, and a wide variety, but she definitely prefers nursing. She is up every 30, 60 or 90 minutes through the night, and I'm exhausted. I'm paranoid that because I have Lupus and we're taking very low doses of prednisone that somehow my milk isn't nutritious enough, or the prednisone is messing her up, or something. And when she wakes she wants MAMA, no one else. We thought maybe she has GERD, my mom thinks maybe an ulcer, she's very burpy.

I would love to nurse her constantly, but the lack of sleep is now completely interfering with my recovery from this Lupus flare. I'm almost sad to hear that it's normal and not something we can change soon.

And I've read Pantley cover-to-cover. Nada.

I was SOOOO happy to read you post. My DD is the same. She was born 3/27/08...almost the same day as yours. She still nurses about every 1-2 hrs thoughout the night. I am starting to get alittle tired of it, but I dont want to let her CIO. Dont worry you are not alone!! LOL! I just try and remind myself that it wont last forever.

DD is 9 months too. He does nurse quite frequently during the day, sometimes every 2 hours. I wouldn't worry too much about that, except for the night nursing. BM is really the best thing for them at this age. We've been going slow with the solids, as DS has problems with constipation too, although its cleared up now. I'm wondering if you can cut down on the variety so you can see if a particular food is causing her troubles? Its always a good idea to wait for a poop after introducing a new food so you can see if it is causing her issues.

When we had the constipation troubles, we cut out rice cereal too. He didn't like it too much and I think its crap so that's OK. All the other moms feed their baby's rice cereal and most of the moms I know use CIO. You just have to do what you know is right.

We cut out: bananas, rice cereal, white rice, applesauce. All those were constipating. I fed him lots of jars of prunes. He liked those, but it didn't really make the constipation go away.

I got in contact with a dietician and this is what she suggested: Feed him beans! Specifically, what I did was put a spoon-ful of low-salt canned black beans in with whatever he was eating. Beans have both iron and fiber. Pureed it with something sweet like prunes or peaches so he didn't know the difference. That fixed his constipation good and proper!

She doesn't need a ton of solids at this age, if you can cut back a bit on the solids and get your milk supply back up, this will probably be the best thing for her.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

For sleep, I've had success with the NCSS. They don't need to nurse all night long at this age. I've found 1 or 2 good feedings a night is all DS needs.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    I love breastfeeding my daughter, and often find it a great way to connect with my daughter. Is it normal for a 9 1/2 month old to still want to nurse every 2 hrs (I swear i could set my watch by her) and she nurses frequently during the night. Do other mom's have a child similar??

My second question is about constipation. Last night my dd unfortuanly ended up getting an enema to help her out as she was severly constipated. She nurses all the time and gets plenty of fluids offered to her often (although more is spat out and played with than drank). How do i tell if she's getting enough. I'm always able to express more after she's finished nursing, and i know she is a way better eater than i am at expressing. So she should theoretically be getting enough right???

Hi, there.

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. Luckily, 'this, too, shall pass...' This stage of development can be oh, so tough! It sounds like baby's normal developmental behavior may be affecting her nursings (how often and how long). Hang in there... it shouldn't last too long. Nursing frequently can be normal, although in can also be draining for mom. Hang in there!

[B]Is it possible she might be teething[/B]? For some reason teething hurts more at night, too... maybe because there's less distraction or gravity and laying down. Nursing can sometimes increase at night for this reason because it can really comfort teething babies. Some mothers find that cosleeping at night can easily fascilitate with the frequent night nursings. Others try not to look at the clock (although hard to do at first) each time baby wakes up.

Sometimes, at about this age while baby is learning that they're really "separate" from mommy and begin to experience some anxiety, nursing can be so comforting. Sometimes wearing baby in a carrier can help, too.

Sorry to hear your little one's constipated. No one's happy when baby's constipated. Yes, I agree with the previous posters... One of the first things recommended is to nurse more often while decreasing the amount of solids. Many find that cutting out starches like rice cereal & only continuing with the "P" foods like prunes, peaches, pears, etc.... maybe even go back to one of these at a time, just in case one proves to be better over another (for future knowledge next time baby gets constipated, etc.). You might consider some tummy massage & doing bicycle-like excercises which can help baby's digestive system a bit, too. Nursing on-demand & nursing before giving solids is usually a good rule of thumb.

Hope you all feel better,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    How do i tell if she's getting enough. I'm always able to express more after she's finished nursing, and i know she is a way better eater than i am at expressing. So she should theoretically be getting enough right???
    PS You may consider just giving expressed breastmilk in a cup/sippy/other to her as any type of drink. Breastmilk is about 70% water and will help her with her constipation and she'll fill up with nutritional stuff. If she's getting plenty of wet diapers, enough poopies, is generally in a good mood and your ped's ruled out anything, everything should be alright.
    Carla
    LLL Leader