Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sadness long after weaning

Default Re: Sadness long after weaning

I think you did a great job at 16.5 months. And weaning in your case was a natural occurance for bringing a new life into the world. All you can do is recognize the sad feelings and celebrate the fact you still have one nursling and two beautiful and healthy girls.

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It's been a few days, but I've been too busy to come on here...

Something like this happened to us last week. Naomi (now 7 months) was nursing and Abby suddenly started crying and pointed and said "Abby want that." I was totally surprised. She weaned when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant with Naomi after the milk dried up. For a long time she didn't even give the boobs a second look.

She's been feeling down lately, so I figured that was the source of her weaning sadness. When Naomi was done, Abby and I cuddled and she hasn't brought it up again. In fact, since then whenever she hears Naomi fuss she pats my chest and says "Mommeeee, Nooomi cry, feed Nooomi, Mommeeee, booby, feed Nooomi."
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamacat View Post
    In fact, since then whenever she hears Naomi fuss she pats my chest and says "Mommeeee, Nooomi cry, feed Nooomi, Mommeeee, booby, feed Nooomi."
    That is so sweet!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Poor Mama... as the other mamas said - you have no reason to feel guilty, but I understand totally.

DD was weaned when I was pg with DS1 - I was told I had to by a health 'professional' and never got a second opinion. I always felt bad about it but never gave much more of a thought because I "had" to. THen I found out the truth... years later I found out I didn't have to wean her... AND in looking for info on that issue I found out I didn't have to have weaned DS1 when I did... also was given bad info and didn't looks into it further. SO I have guilt x2 and while it subsides as time goes on - I still feel bad about it...

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That is so sweet!
    It's adorable. She's so devoted to her baby sister. They both just light up at the sight of each other. I hope it stays that way as they get older.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Wow, this thread was just what I needed....

I am pregnant and my 17 month old daughter is weaning. We are down to once every other day, and I feel horrible about it. My daughter seems okay with it now, we went through a rough patch when I decided I had to nightwean for my sanity.

Part of me hopes she will start again when the colostrum comes in, but there is another part of me that is glad when we can cuddle to sleep for nap time instead of nurse to sleep. But then I feel bad for feeling relieved when she doesn't ask for milk.

I am glad we aren't alone in this.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth