Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping nursing sessions?

Default Dropping nursing sessions?

Just last week DD seemed to be nursing constantly. Now, the past two nights she has refused to nurse down for the night. Last night I tried to latch her four times in 20 minutes and she just kept pulling off. DH ended up walking her to sleep so she didn't nurse at all between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Just now, I tried to latch her on again and she just bit me - hard. She nursed today probably around 5 times or so, but she always has nursed to sleep and these past two nights have just felt so strange. I don't get it! Is she weaning? Is it temporary? Have any of your LOs done this?

On a side note she was also refusing a lot of food today that she normally eats. She's been whiny lately and I figured it's teething, but she has shown the signs of active teething for over a month now with no new tooth. She only has five so far.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Dropping nursing sessions?

mama...Probably just a little phase...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

She may be on the long path to weaning, but I still think you have a long way to go. I bet it's teeth and she'll be back to normal in no time (but until then may be a hellish nightmare of non-sleeping)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It sounds like a nursing strike. Have you been through these before? We've gone through several after 12 months... and they do pass but it's really hard.

Just don't force the nursing, try and approach it casually. Don't worry about your milk supply, you're gonna keep making milk. When she nurses more you will make more.

Cuddles, warm baths, some special times between the two of you and she will be back nursing.

It's proabably either teeth or a huge milestone. Either way should pass in a few days-a week or so. Keep us posted!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    It sounds like a nursing strike. Have you been through these before?
    Nope, not really. The longest she has ever not nursed is when she is sleeping through the night... and in the past when she has refused to nurse it's been during the day, but she has still nursed down for naps/overnight.

She woke up at 5:45 a.m. (usually it's more like 7 or 8 - she goes to bed kind of late) and nursed. So I guess it's just at night.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

I know how you feel - my DS is almost 14 months and just started to drop the pre-dinner nursing which I had thought was rock-solid. He would probably refuse to nurse before naps too if I wasn't so good at rocking him first and then coaxing him onto the breast when he's real sleepy. It sounds like yours may be on sort of a partial-nursing strike, or it could be that she really is dropping those sessions. I feel like mine will be an early weaner even though I'm doing everything I can to keep him BF for as long as possible. It's so frustrating when they just don't seem to want it! If she's refusing some solids, though, I bet she's teething or maybe starting to come down with something - probably just little phase of her not doing her normal BF pattern.

My youngest went through some periods like this. She just could not nurse herself to sleep for a time! Poor DH had to take her for long walks in her buggy in many different weather types and all times of the night. She did get over it though!
    Then I started to wonder if she would ever wean! LOL

A stuffy nose will also cause the nursing refusal. This too shall pass...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Update: She has picked back up her night nursing session! It only lasted two days. So there I went, jumping the gun again.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Update: She has picked back up her night nursing session! It only lasted two days. So there I went, jumping the gun again.
    Karen welcome to toddler nursing. Mine is always doing this, dropping out a bunch of nursing... then adding in a bunch more the next month.

It does kind'a mess up your hormones a bit I admit.
    Last edited by @llli*green.momma; January 15th, 2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling... need to go back to skool
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09