Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think we are having a growth spurt! Question about sleeping

Default I think we are having a growth spurt! Question about sleeping

My son has really been feeding a lot the last couple of days. During the day, he is not really following any schedule and is feeding pretty much every thrity minutes. (He feeds for about five minutes at a time.) He is sleeping well at night, about 2 - 3 hours in between. Today he was awake almost non-stop from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm!!! He only slept for maybe twenty minutes here and there - is that NORMAL??!!??!! He is one month old today!!

TIA,

Brandi

Default Re: I think we are having a growth spurt! Question about sleeping

Hi Brandi, I have a 9 month old and I remember days when he never slept also... But what that meant for us was that he was very over tired and usually very fussy. You are right to suspect growth spurt, usually 7-10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months etc. Every baby is different though... As far as the sleep, it was always and still is important to me to get Thomas to take naps, especially at 1 month, I ( but not everyone ) would try to make a healthy environment for sleep. At our house we use a white noise machine, or you can just use a box fan on high or low, also a dark room works well. I found that once Thomas became aware of his surroundings I had to put him in the back of the house to sleep so that he would not be easily awakened?!? I hope that this was helpful.

What would be considered a white noise machine?

and, thanks for the reply - it was helpful!

A white noise machine is a machine that puts out a noise similar to that loud kinda crackly noise that you hear when you are at the OB and they put the doppler on you tummy to listen to the baby, not really crackly. Oh, it is hard to describe. Before we bought our noise maker, ( has sounds like waves, rain, white noise etc) we used a small fan turned toward the wall on high. When Thomas was fussy as a newborn I would stand next to that and he would settle right away?!? They seem to be helpful for 2 reasons, 1 to drown out noise of the house and 2 BC it is suppose to sound like the womb? I read a great book ( NOT LLL approved ) called The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Dr. Harp and he talks about a white noise machine in there. His book is Very helpful for the colicky baby-high need baby. Hope that helps!

LLLSueAnn Guest

I used to use a radio tuned between stations, or the television when you put it on the wrong channel and don't get your cable reception any more. I can still remember the oscillating fan my parents used for me when *I* was a baby, and I am OLD!!

I did find that I didn't need white noise too often. I just nursed more often when I suspected a growth spurt, and it only lasted a few days.

(Just sharing personal experience)

Yeah for the growth spurt I did not use the WNM just to get and keep my ds asleep. Isn't funny what we remember, I remember the ac coming on as I was going to sleep growing up, it was always soothing...

Congratulations on getting to the ONE MONTH mark - you hear so much about longer-term nursing - but one month is a VERY BIG DEAL! We have many moms that quit due to concerns about not "having enough" or exhaustion!

I used to tease my kids: "Didn't you READ the BOOK that (at that time) says you're supposed to sleep 20 out of 24 hours???

Well, it seems they read a different book - my kids slept MAYBE 11, and even then it was so broken up, I can't really assume THAT was right!

Babies need so much contact/time with us, it's amazing we get ANYTHING DONE!!! But if we realize that it other cultures "someone" is usually carrying the baby, "someone" is preparing meals, gathering food, getting water, etc... But in our culture "someone" is US!

The use of a baby carrier was one solution I used for months - different lengths for different babies, because they developed differently (what a concept!).

Having just been at the home of my son and daughter-in-law, it was interesting to see how our new granddaughter, who was certainly entertained with 2 older siblings and fed WELL by a mother who has always had MORE milk that any of her babies ever needed, still needed to be held/walked/massaged/breastfed for the evening - from news to the end of Jay Leno! (In my day it was "news through Johnny Carson.")

If we can just keep in mind that this is not OUR "lack" of anything but rather HUMAN INFANTS NEED FOR MOTHERING (some call it marsupial mothering, others kangaroo care, others attachment parenting) all this means that human infants were born too soon - because otherwise their heads wouldn't fit through the birth canal - and need to be "in utero" for over 6 more months! Some use equipment that makes noises such as teddy bears with heart sounds - but some just use MOM.

I loved a "Baby Blues" cartoon that came out a few weeks ago - when asked what was the youngest baby's "binkie" or security blanket, mom, obviously sitting in a rocker and nursing just said: "ME"!

Jeanette P.

Just to chime in...

Both my dd's seemed to settle more easily with sound machines, or any white noise. I think it helped them center themselves. But for dd#2 who really had a hard time, it was the exhaust fan on our Jenn-Air gas range. I can't tell you how many times I walked around the kitchen island with dd in the sling and that fan just humming away...can't believe we never burned out the motor!

That is a GREAT story, I love hearing all of the fun things that these mommies do to sooth their babies. My ds did and still does ( 9 mo ) loves his white noise