Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore areola?

Default Sore areola?

I am experiencing pain on the underside outer edge of my right areola. I usually notice it most when my DD is nursing, though I have noticed a sort of throbbing pain occasionally at other times of the day. The pain subsides a bit as the nursing session progresses, but then returns as she doses and her sucking becomes more shallow. I don't have this problem on my left, and she has been nursing without problems for 8 months. Her latch seems okay. The pain is not intolerable...more like uncomfortable. It's not a "shooting" pain. Any ideas what this could be?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Sore areola?

Ooo... yes, this does sound uncomfortable and painful. So sorry!

Is the area red, hot or swollen? Have you tried any wet/warm compresses before nursing and then using some massage, in case it might be a plugged duct? Do you have any flu-like symptoms or fever?
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Sore areola?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2babyk View Post
    I am experiencing pain on the underside outer edge of my right areola. I usually notice it most when my DD is nursing, though I have noticed a sort of throbbing pain occasionally at other times of the day. The pain subsides a bit as the nursing session progresses, but then returns as she doses and her sucking becomes more shallow. I don't have this problem on my left, and she has been nursing without problems for 8 months. Her latch seems okay. The pain is not intolerable...more like uncomfortable. It's not a "shooting" pain. Any ideas what this could be?
    Have you changed your pump settings at all? I got a "hicky" on the outside of my areola when my pump was too high and the cup was off center. Just an idea...