Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very painful left breast

Default very painful left breast

since lastnight, I have had an area on my left breast that is very painful. It feels like a swollen milk duct cause it feels lumpy undermy skin from my nipple to my breast bone. But I have tried feeding and pumping to empy the breast and the painful, lumpy area is still there. what do I do? How do I know for sure that it's what I think?
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: very painful left breast

It sounds like a plugged duct. Do you have a fever or any red streaks over the area that is sore? Those are the signs of mastitis (though I have never had it), I have had plugged ducts about once a week since my son was born (6 months). I get in a hot shower and let the water run over the area that hurts and hand express. Then I have my son nurse and hand express some more. Sometimes I can see white spots in my nipple where the plug is and I can use a needle to get these out and it opens the plug (hurts though and is a risk for infection). The last really bad one I had I had my husband massage the plug out (he massaged harder than I did) and this worked. Hang in there, rest and drink a lot of fluids. Plugged ducts usually resolve within 48 hours.

Default Re: very painful left breast

There is also some good info for treating plugs here. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?