Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got home - extreme pain getting worse!! =(

Default Just got home - extreme pain getting worse!! =(

We just got home from the hospital with our Baby #2 - yay!!

and I was much better with breastfeeding in the hospital! I started right in the recovery room (after my c-section) and my DS latched on right away (unlike my DD)

He couldnt latch on to my flat/inverted nipple at first so I BF from the other and pumped that one...but by the end of the hospital visit he was BFing from both. BUT...

as the days went on not only was the initial latch extremely painful, the first min or so were also painful...now that I am home for the first day, the last few feeds (the WHOLE session) have been extremely painful - worse than my worse contractions

And He will not nurse from the one I origianlly pumped the first two days because he comes up with a mouthful of blood

My questions are:
    -Could I poss have thrush?
    -Is it possible to just breastfeed from just one breast?
    -I read that I should pump for a few days if I cant take the Bfing due to pain, is it ok to introduce the bottle so early? (my DD went back and forth from EBM to breast with ease - I am hoping my DD can do the same)

My hormones are all out of control and hysterical crying during a BF session is not what I had in mind..you think Baby #2 I'd be a pro!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: Just got home - extreme pain getting worse!! =(

**UPDATE**
    just dusted of my pump and pumped for the first time - both breasts and there was a Significant drop in pain!!

could that be another sign of thrush????
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your LO! Second, to you, I know this has to be difficult, and hormones after birth don't help much, do they?

In answer to your questions, yes, you can BF off one breast. The worst that happens is that you get lopsided, but it wouldn't hurt to pump the other one and store it for when it's needed, KWIM? My DS preffered my left boob so I would just pump it when he would refuse that particular one. I still got lopsided though, but when he weaned it went away, barely noticable now.

As far as him getting nipple confusion, I am not sure, I know there is a risk of it, but every baby is different. Maybe if he doesn't seem to transition good from bottle to breast, you could use a syringe or something... Mine never would take a bottle. He flat out refused the whole time he nursed, so I have no experience there.

My thoughts on this are, it might be his latch on that one breast. Do you bleed when you pump from that breast? Does it hurt when you aren't nursing him?

I know you said the pump helped...If you're pumping okay and it helps with the pain, I'm thinking that it's more related to him having trouble latching onto that breast. Of course, your milk supply is probably still coming in and adjusting, too. That in itself can cause pain for the first little bit (at least it did with me. I was very very sore for the first week or so and I too had many a crying session while BF'ing.)

But anyway, if the pain is more in the nipple area and you're bleeding, my guess would be the latch. Can you get someone from LLL or maybe an LC to check it for you?

Maybe you could try a nipple shield, if he's just not able to get a good latch on that one. I have flat/inverted nipples too and a nipple shield helped me a lot with my first son. My second didn't seem to mind, he still nursed like a little pro,

Of course, if you are concerned about thrush, don't hesitate to talk to your doc. Even if you rule it out just to ease your mind...whatever helps. But, based on what you're saying, my guess is it's his latch on that one breast.

Just my two cents...good luck and I hope it gets better. Hang in there!
    ~Michelle~

Married to the love of my life, Nicholas on 5-6-06

Mother to:

Calum, 2-27-2003 5 lbs 8 oz, Breastfed until 5-23-2003

Gavin, 12-21-06 7 lbs 2 oz, Breastfed until 4-1-08

Gabrielle, 2-3-09 6 lbs 1 oz, drinking nothing but mama milk!

Grace, Gabrielle's Twin, our Angel in Heaven

thank you for your response...I might just do the one breast thing...I was thinking the same thing..use the other one for extra supply...and maybe try again with him after I healed...I know its not the latch bec it hurts equally on both breasts and even throbs/hurts "inside" the breast when not nursing, it is just really heightened when nursing...but for some reason only the one (the inverted) has bled.

..and while in the hospital i "double checked" his latch with a LC and she said it was fine!

I guess I will call my dr and/or his today to see if they think it is thrush...

any other ideas are still welcomed..thank you!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

Did you have antibotics for the birth?

check out this link...
    this will save your life when your milk comes in

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

I did receive antibiotics!!

interesting article...worth a shot...
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

Congratulations on baby #2! I'm glad you're home already. I hope the c-section went well?

It's totally okay to breastfeed from 1 breast only. Moms with twins essentially do just that- one breast for each twin- and it works out fine. One of my aunts even breastfed triplets, which works out to about 7/10 of a breast for each baby. As a PP said, lopsidedness may be a problem, but probably not too significant of a problem if you pump the side you're not nursing on.

From what you describe, you could have thrush, or you could be having trouble with a bad latch, or it could be a combination of the two. What do your nipples look like when your baby unlatches after a feed? Are they symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical, like new lipsticks? If they look more like lipsticks then pencil erasers, there's probably a latch issue.

-I read that I should pump for a few days if I cant take the Bfing due to pain, is it ok to introduce the bottle so early? (my DD went back and forth from EBM to breast with ease - I am hoping my DD can do the same)
    It's a tough call. Some babies go back and forth between bottle and breast with ease. Others can rapidly grow to prefer the bottle. And painful as your situation is right now, nipple confusion would only make it worse.

I hope things get better for you soon!!!

I agree there are other ways to feed baby besides bottle

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Thrush can be tricky to figure out.

Has your milk came in yet?
    Many mom's find they feal beter as their milk comes in.

The reverse pressure softeing saved my life with my dd.
    I had a c-section and lots of iv fluids. My poor boobs were so
    engoraged with not only milk but fluids too.
    IT was realy hard for her to get a good latch.